Engine Block Numbers Question

verti89

Established Member
My dad and I just bought a 65 mustang project car and are trying to get all our information under control. He got the codes off the engine yesterday and after some googling im a tad confused.

The Engine Block number is per my father: 05AE-6015-E (I am pretty sure the first digit must have been a C and either a typo or a misread on his end) so the block is a 65

What is confusing is that the 4 digit date code right above that is apparently 7A30, which makes the exact date of manufacture January 30, 1967?

Any ideas on how this might have occurred? Or am I misunderstanding how these decoders work?

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
That car should be a 289 V8 with that number. Its a C, not an O. The only other letter that it could be is possibly a D...but its doubtful. 289s were long gone before the 70s came around. The way the codes reads is that you have a 1965 "model" block. It just happened to be built in 1967. What that would tell you is that this not the original engine that came in the car. If you researched that block number you will probably find that particular engine code was used across the Mustang, Fairlane, Galaxy, etc product lines. What is the engine code in the VIN #. If its a K, you hit paydirt.

verti89

Established Member
The engine code in the vin is a C unfortunately but it will service its purpose :). i got all the power i need in my '11 shelby ;)

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
Thats cool. The K code 289s were solid lifter engines with a hotter cam (I think) and upgraded 4-barrel. C code is the garden variety 289 (like the original one in my 67). K code Stangs fetch a pretty penny. Good luck with your build!

Users who are viewing this thread