Engagement rings??

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
How much should I spend on a ring?

I make 1500.00 every two weeks.

She like princess cut....I was thinking Zales celebration 102 facet 1ct princess. ($5995.00)

tistan

Established Member
If they are asking $5900 for it you offer them $4000. You should be able to get 30% off the price pretty easily. My fiances ring retailed for $10,500. I walked in with $7000 in cash and told them if they wanted to sell the ring then here is what I will give you.

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
If they are asking $5900 for it you offer them $4000. You should be able to get 30% off the price pretty easily. My fiances ring retailed for $10,500. I walked in with $7000 in cash and told them if they wanted to sell the ring then here is what I will give you.

They took 1000.00 off already. They said it is the only 102 Facet diamond and that they can't come off that price. It is a G VS1 diamond.(1.06 ct) Is that over priced? What is the rule of thumb about how much you make? two months salary?

Last edited:

04streetvenom

Established Member
Many times you can get it cheaper if you have access to a stone and have someone make it.......but if that's not an option, I would say the price is fair, unfortunately you have to pay more for the cut she likes. The same stone in a different cut would probably go for 1k less or more.

tistan

Established Member
They took 1000.00 off already. They said it is the only 102 Facet diamond and that they can't come off that price. It is a G VS1 diamond.(1.06 ct) Is that over priced? What is the rule of thumb about how much you make? two months salary?

Is it 1.06 of total weight? How big is the center daimond?

tistan

Established Member
When I was shopping for a diamond ring, one of the chain places tried to sell me one of their "certified diamonds". It was big, but yellowish in color. It stickered for $6000 they offered it to me for $2500 out the door. Don't be afraid to make a low ball offer. Thing Zales knows is that you can buy the exact same ring they sale at any other chain retailer. With the economy being like it is they know someone will jump at your offer. There is a ton of markup in jewelry.

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member

Bullshit. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of mark up on diamonds and Jewelry. Make them an offer that you're comfortable with (I dunno, 30% off...?) and then walk. They tell you this and that but just say "hey, it's an offer, you have my phone number. If you change your mind call me".

Low bid a bunch of rings you like at different places and a couple of them will come through.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Whatever you get, get it appraised. All the big chain stores are notorious for selling junk that looks good but will not appraise for near the value you paid for it.

Also, whatever you get, get it put on your insurance. This one thing can save you many tears and recriminations, because rings do get lost, even by those to whom they have great meaning. Also, settings sometimes loosen and stones fall out, large and small. And there is theft, too. Insurance makes dealing with all of those situations so much easier.

Congratulations!

Jim Snover

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Tiffany makes some nice ones.

+ a billion.

Tiffany = Overpriced and I dont make enough. LOL

Contrary to popular belief, they are not overpriced. We've done some serious shopping at Kay, Zales, Robin Bro's., Tiffany's, and like 5 other stores and, for what I wanted, Tiffany's was unbeatable. At least check out what they have, you will be pleasantly surprised. Of all the places we looked, Zales was actually the most overpriced.

And don't let the guy swindle you on a sales pitch like the "number of facets." For a VS1, that is overpriced; I don't care if it has 65,000 facets. Especially if it's set in gold.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Oh, and as far as design goes: the more simple and elegant the design, the less likely you (or she) will hate it as the years go by and your tastes change.

Jim Snover

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
That is the amount I spent on my car, lol.

I think 6k is a lot for a ring, but you seem to make a decent amount. If you can afford it and it's the one she wants I would buy it.

Don't ever buy anything that will break you financially though, it's just not worth it.

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
Is it 1.06 of total weight? How big is the center daimond?

It's a solitaire one diamond at 1.06

That is the amount I spent on my car, lol.

I think 6k is a lot for a ring, but you seem to make a decent amount. If you can afford it and it's the one she wants I would buy it.

Don't ever buy anything that will break you financially though, it's just not worth it.

Very true...My girl is very simple and doesn't want anything too fancy. However I am picky with quality. This diamond I looked at was G in color (near colorless) Colorless < EFGHIJ>k- Yellow VS1 Clarity(no inclusions with the loop) I think I will talk with them some more.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Pawn shop...

In all honesty I'm a big fan of traditional big single stone rings.

Or be like my dad. He offered my mom a huge rock set in platinum or a slightly smaller one and a house...

Mom got the big rock and the house...

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Very true...My girl is very simple and doesn't want anything too fancy. However I am picky with quality. This diamond I looked at was G in color (near colorless) Colorless < EFGHIJ>k- Yellow VS1 Clarity(no inclusions with the loop) I think I will talk with them some more.

If she doesn't want anything fancy a solitare is the way to go. They are very simple but beautiful. That is good you are picky with quality, but I would get it appraised as Jim suggested so you KNOW it's worth the money.

Have you gone ring shopping together?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
VS1 Clarity(no inclusions with the loop) I think I will talk with them some more.

If this is what the salesguy told you, do not buy from him. This is false. VS1 means there are imperfections visible under 10x magnification; typically, the 1 designation means that it's under the facets or the mount, while 2 means it's under the table (center of the diamond). NO inclusions visible with the loupe (10x magnification) is INTERNALLY FLAWLESS. He's either lying to you, or he's misinformed.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_clarity]Diamond clarity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
My ring (setting and diamond) only cost $2,000. I have a .70 I1 Colorless solitaire round diamond.

Contrary to popular belief you can find a gorgeous diamond for less, you also don't have to go with a VS or even SI grade. You do this and it will typically cost more. Instead you can go up a grade in color and size and stay in the I category. I have 3 inclusions in my diamond that I can't see. I grading is categorized as having inclusions visible to the naked eye, but 9 times out of 10 unless you know what you are looking for you won't see them. And diamonds are graded from the top down (ie, the part that you see when it is mounted down to the point) so even though you may be able to see something when the diamond is upside down, you won't necessarily see it when it is mounted.

I suggest going to a jewelry store that has people that will sit you down and explain the 4 C's of each diamond, and have you compare the diamonds in a setting. You will have a better understanding of what you are buying. Also see if the store has an upgrade policy and see if your girl would be ok with starting with a smaller diamond to begin with. I originally wanted a full carat, but when we started shopping and talking about budget I downgraded for the time being and I love my diamond. Most places will have an upgrade policy where you can upgrade and only pay the difference between what your diamond cost and what the new one costs. So for example, since mine cost $2000 if I want to upgrade to a $3000 diamond, I only pay $1000. Make sure that is their policy though, as some will say you have to pay for the whole cost of the new diamond.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread