Encounter with a C5

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
I was driving home from work tonight down US 19/41 (S. Atlanta) toward I-75 when I heard a V6 Firebird with a whistling sound like a turbo besides me. I was trying to get the driver to come along side so I could ask him about his car when I see a set of low set headlights come ripping up behind me. Judging by the square headlights and location of the amber parking lights I thought it was a Vette and was correct. The on-ramp from US 19/41 onto I-75 is two lanes and stays that way for about a mile. We take off from the stop light just prior to the on-ramp with me #1 right lane at the light a SUV to my left the Firebird behind the SUV and the Vette behind me. I'm driving easy trying to get the Firebird along side when the Vette jumps out in front of the SUV and comes screaming past. I instantly drop the car from 5th to 2nd and quickly roll in full throttle. The Vette is about 3 cars in front by the time I change gears and at hammer down. I stop the pull fast, real him in, and pull past him putting bus lengths on him by the top of 3rd gear. We then get a fairly good sized gap in traffic and merge onto I-75 doing about 60mph each we're side by side again. I downshift to 3rd and goose the throttle letting him know I want to run again. His window is up so I'm planning on going on his move. He hits it I hammer down in 3rd and by 105 (top of 3rd) he's nowhere around. He comes up alongside again and then punches it as he moves off into the exit lane for I-285.

It was fun for me as the area I drive through to get to work is pretty much inhabited with POS cars and cars on rims 20 inches and larger who make the air around them smell like Black and Milds. So needless to say I rarely ever get in a fun street roll race.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Nice kill, sounds like a fairly stock C5 by how bad you got him. (unsure of your mods so I could be wrong).

Nicely done.

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
Yea it was stock I'm 98% sure. But like I said I NEVER get a run in with anything so I'll take what I can get.

My car made 543 so if I didn't win I'd be hanging myself rather than bragging on here about beating a stock Vette. But hey! He started it!

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Good runs. Stock C5's (non-z06's) are basically like running stock ls1 fbodies. It's always fun bruising vette owners ego's though. I used to always enjoy it when I had my 02 SS.

Users who are viewing this thread