Enclosed Trailer - Motorcycles - Need Advice

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hi All. Looking to purchase my first enclosed trailer. Its purpose will be to haul two sport bikes for weekend trips or to trackdays. Total weight of bikes, gear, and infrastructure in trailer will be around 1500 lbs. I'd be pulling with a jeep grand cherokee. Listed tow capacity for the 5.7 L is 7200 lbs. I'm a fan of not killing myself so, ideally, I'd like to be around 50% of the listed tow capacity.

I'm guessing I'd like a 6 x 10 or 6 x 12 trailer. V-nose, side door, ramp rear, leveling jacks. Any other thoughts? What things are gimmicks from manufacturers? What things are legit? What are things that make this as easy as possible to load, unload, etc? Keep in mind, most of this I'll have to do entirely myself. So time saving or effort saving devices would be appreciated.

Single axle or dual axle? I'd like to keep the total weight (trailer & gear) as low as I can. I know my Jeep can tow more but I trust those advertised tow capacities as much as I could throw them. I'd be using the Weigh Safe drop hitch to make sure I distribute the weight evenly. What advantages do dual axle trailers offer to offset their added weight? I definitely like the thought of redundant tires. Again, I like not dying.

Will a 6' wide trailer fit both bikes side-by-side? Maybe slight fore/aft offset?? Any experiences hauling two sportbikes in an enclosed trailer?

I'd like to use the Pitbull Trailer Restraint to secure both bikes. My hope is this makes for easy loading/unloading when I'm out by myself. Thoughts/suggestions?

What else? What other things should I look for? Seems like in this size trailer there are many manufacturers. Most note the same construction techniques. I'd really like to find a deal on a used one. But it's gotta be in nice shape. My guess is I wouldn't use this more than 6-8 times a year, probably less than 5000 miles per year.

I did debate, and have, rented enclosed trailers. My issue with that is I need to use tie downs to secure the bikes. I'm not a fan of that. I'd rather have my own restraint system that doesn't put stress on the suspension of the bike. I don't like leaky fork seals. lol.

Last edited:

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I never used an enclosed but do highly recommend the Pitbull system. I'd think you should be able to get two bikes in a 6' wide no problem... I'd bet if you go to your regions racing forum or facebook group (like WERA, not sure if that's up in IL) you can find someone who might be getting out of the sport and selling a trailer already setup for it. Should take some of the guesswork out if it.

If you don't have luck with that, just go to the next track day local to you and find the guys with the enclosed trailers and ask them if they are happy with it, or what would they change if they were to do it all over at this time.

_Snake_

Established Member
I used a 5x10, single-axle, open trailer for a Harley and these are my recommendations based on my experiences and your situation:

1. Single axle aluminum trailer (least amount of weight to tow). A dual axle trailer gives you more weight carrying capacity, which you don't need.
2. Ramp door. Ensure bikes can be pushed in/out without hanging up at the top of the ramp. Probably not an issue with sport bikes but it was for a lowered Harley.
3. I couldn't fit two bikes directly side by side in a 5'x10' and it was insanely tight even staggered. I'd go 6' wide and expect to stagger the bikes.
4. A low-profile trailer will be easier to tow but offer less room to stand up inside.

What's your budget?

Last edited:

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I used a 5x10, single-axle, open trailer for a Harley and these are my recommendations based on my experiences and your situation:

1. Single axle aluminum trailer (least amount of weight to tow). A dual axle trailer gives you more weight carrying capacity, which you don't need.
2. Ramp door. Ensure bikes can be pushed in/out without hanging up at the top of the ramp. Probably not an issue with sport bikes but it was for a lowered Harley.
3. I couldn't fit two bikes directly side by side in a 5'x10' and it was insanely tight even staggered. I'd go 6' wide and expect to stagger the bikes.
4. A low-profile trailer will be easier to tow but offer less room to stand up inside.

What's your budget?

All-in, with two Pitbull restraints and hitch, I'd like to be under $6k.

I never used an enclosed but do highly recommend the Pitbull system. I'd think you should be able to get two bikes in a 6' wide no problem... I'd bet if you go to your regions racing forum or facebook group (like WERA, not sure if that's up in IL) you can find someone who might be getting out of the sport and selling a trailer already setup for it. Should take some of the guesswork out if it.

If you don't have luck with that, just go to the next track day local to you and find the guys with the enclosed trailers and ask them if they are happy with it, or what would they change if they were to do it all over at this time.

That is a great idea. I will start searching those forums.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What about trailer brakes? Guessing not required for this weight?

tistan

Established Member
Get a dual axle with trailer brakes just for the towing comfort and extra capacity. Remember the 3500lb axle weight includes the trailer. Add two bikes and some gear and the weight can add up quickly.

_Snake_

Established Member
Get a dual axle with trailer brakes just for the towing comfort and extra capacity.

He’s hauling two sport bikes that’ll weigh maybe 900 lbs combined. That extra capacity won’t be needed. And most trailers that size don’t come with brakes.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
He’s hauling two sport bikes that’ll weigh maybe 900 lbs combined. That extra capacity won’t be needed. And most trailers that size don’t come with brakes.
My total load will be a little closer to 1500 lbs. Tools, riding gear, inverter, solar panels, awning. For the bikes, I think you are spot on at 900 lbs.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Dual axles for the 4 tires. Unlikely you get two flats on the same side at the same time. The redundancy gets you off the highway to swap out the spare in case you get flat. Nothin' worse than roadside repair with traffic doin' 80 mph 6' away.

*edit - get the biggest one you can afford, you'll find that you can bring stuff you haven't thought of yet. A pop up for track days? Extra coolers for food and drinks, tool boxes, parts, sleeping gear, the list will grow.

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
^^^ This is spot on. you WILL have a flat someday (ive had several, and I really keep up with stuff).

Also on size, also as stated above, you do want "bigger". You will wind up with more stuff, and even something as simple as putting bikes in, and still have room for chairs to sit in, if your in a rain delay at the track.

We only have cars, but have 2 trailers. The one car is a 24, and 2 car is 44. These have the room for the race car(s) tools, and all of the spares.

velocicaur

Established Member
Dual axle with trailer brakes for sure - stability, safety, etc. Will help on resale value too.

7' ceilings because ducking in it every time sucks especially with boots/helmet making you a little taller.

Who has ever said they wish they had a smaller trailer? I'd get 14' or 16'. It would allow you to toss in an extra one. Hell, probably two extra ones with a V. Good excuse to buy another one or a friend can tag along. It's more expensive but I think it will be worth it in the long run. Plus, resale value.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks like I’m gonna swing on the Anvil trailer I posted above. Reached out to the seller this morning with a few questions.

For trailer brakes: what kind of maintenance am I looking at? Frequency??

tistan

Established Member
Looks like I’m gonna swing on the Anvil trailer I posted above. Reached out to the seller this morning with a few questions.

For trailer brakes: what kind of maintenance am I looking at? Frequency??
I tow a 14' enclosed trailer for work a decent amount. I think I have about 20k miles in 5 years. The only thing I do is change out the wheel bearing caps for bearing buddies and drive it. Keep a spare tire because they definitely will blow on you. Tractor supply and Lowe's stock trailer tires already mounted on wheels in case of an emergency.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I actually carry 2 spares, one trailer has 2 wheels, the other that I dont have a second wheel for, have a 2nd tire on board. A lot easier to find someone to mount a tire, than to FIND a tire.

With 2, if you get a flat on the way out, you don't have to worry about sourcing a tire to have a spare for the journey home (learned after getting a flat going to Mid Ohio, from the Boston area, I was not going to go 12 hours with out a spare).

Brakes last a long time. The key part is grease the bearings. Some axles have a fitting at the tip of the axle that drives grease to the back (through the axle) and then forward through the bearings. If not, as mentioned above, get bearing buddies.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thank you guys. Appreciate all the advice and input.

Seems like Anvil is a decent trailer. Anyone have any experience with that company?

Trying to set this up for pick up between Christmas and New Years. Hehe. Merry ****in Christmas to me….

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Made a deal with this fella this morning. Will be picking it up 12-20.

This one is fully set up exactly how I’d do it. So it’s a little higher than my budget but I don’t have to add a bunch of crap later.

Users who are viewing this thread