emptying fuel cell

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
Does anyone know an easy way to use the fuel pump on a 2000R to pump the cell empty? The fuel in my car is old and it needs to go.I tried to suck it out of the tank,but no way.I think the easy way will be to jumper the fuel pump,but I need to know which pins.
Thanks, Guy

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
guywwagner said:
Does anyone know an easy way to use the fuel pump on a 2000R to pump the cell empty? The fuel in my car is old and it needs to go.I tried to suck it out of the tank,but no way.I think the easy way will be to jumper the fuel pump,but I need to know which pins.
Thanks, Guy

I bought my 00R in 2003 from the original owner with 21.6 miles on it. Needless to say, the fuel was old, 3 years old. I put some fresh fuel in it and drove it. The car ran sluggish when I first bought it but within a fuel miles it started to clean up. I have had no fuel problems since (knock on plastic). Also I, as well as others have had a problem with stumbling and hestitation at mid range and/or 25-45mph. I found that the air valve on the right side of the intake has been superceded in the Ford parts book. I bought the replacement and have not experienced that problem since.

R

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
guywwagner said:
Thanks, Guy

Drop the fuel cell and get it emptied all the way, will take an hour or two, no big deal.

Brian

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
guywwagner said:
Thanks, Guy

If that's the way you want to do it, disconnect the large fuel line, and turn your key on. Be sure to have a large enough cantainer. Be carefull, because we're talking about 35-45PSI of pressure. That's nothing to fool around with unless you're familiar with fuel pressures. Have a FIRE BOTTLE handy!!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert M said:
I bought my 00R in 2003 from the original owner with 21.6 miles on it. Needless to say, the fuel was old, 3 years old. I put some fresh fuel in it and drove it. The car ran sluggish when I first bought it but within a fuel miles it started to clean up. I have had no fuel problems since (knock on plastic). Also I, as well as others have had a problem with stumbling and hestitation at mid range and/or 25-45mph. I found that the air valve on the right side of the intake has been superceded in the Ford parts book. I bought the replacement and have not experienced that problem since.

R

I guess I need to add, my tank was only about 1/8 full of old fuel when I added the fresh fuel.

R

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
old fuel

I've only got a little more than 1/8th,but I'd still like to remove it.I'm still looking for someone who knows which pins to jump on the fuel pump relay.
Guy

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I could be wrong but like said above you should just be able to turn the key on. The pump should keep pumping because it won't ever build the pressure needed to shut the pump off and should empty the tank.

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
fuel

Just turning on the key will not work,you only get a capful or so.I assume that there must be oil pressure or vacuum present to keep the pump running.Guy

Cobra-R

Established Member
I believe oil pressure is what it wants to see, thus the short cycle of the pump.

Brian

svtguy

Established Member
I can email you the wiring diagram with instructions. What is your email?

Paul.

b4409

Established Member
Drop that thing and repaint it while your at it. I chose to do mine under the car, which is fine for a touchup, but seems like it would be easier just to drop, dump the fuel, replace fuel filter, paint and you're good to go forever. The original paint can be wiped off with MEK. I suggest this because you'll probably see corrosion sometime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread