Employment Rant

tmaschm

Established Member
Ok I'm sick and tired of waiting for employers to hire me, this is bullshit. Four years ago when I was coming into college recruiters told me how I would probably be hired right out of school if not before I graduated. Well guess what its been a month now and still no job. Even places I have connections at won't hire me right now. I know what you guys are thinking, this guy probably went to community college and got some bs degree in general studies or some other random degree. No, I went to a 4 year college (Arkansas), and got one degree and two minors (Major in Mechanical Engineering w/ a 3.5 GPA, and Minors in Math and business management). So as you can tell I'm pretty pissed. I apply to new jobs online daily and never hear anything back. I am very self motivated and a self starter and I can't get anything. What do you guys think is going on? Is the economy really so bad that an engineer who finished school towards the top of his class can't get a job? If you guys know anything about any jobs let me know.:bored:

Last edited:

92z28

Established Member
Ok I'm sick and tired of waiting for employers to hire me, this is bullshit. Four years ago when I was coming into college recruiters told me how I would probably be hired right out of school if not before I graduated. Well guess what its been a month now and still no job. Even places I have connections at won't hire me right now. I know what you guys are thinking, this guy probably went to community college and got some bs degree in general studies or some other random degree. No, I went to a 4 year college (Arkansas), and got not one, not two, but three degrees (Major in Mechanical Engineering w/ a 3.5 GPA, and Minors in Math and business management). So as you can tell I'm pretty pissed. I apply to new jobs online daily and never hear anything back. I am very self motivated and a self starter and I can't get anything. What do you guys think is going on? Is the economy really so bad that an engineer who finished school towards the top of his class can't get a job? If you guys know anything about any jobs let me know.:bored:

LOL @ you for believing the crap they spoon fed you.

CBrowning84

Established Member
A month isn't really that bad. I went about 3 months before I found one. Keep your head up, you'll find something eventually!

SpectorV

Established Member
It took me a few months to find a job, someone will call and dont take the first job. Also realize you may get paid less than expected, thats how it works... if you do good after a few months you will get a good raise to put you where you should be.

I interviewed with many places, non ever called me back as everyone wants people with experience already.... after I finally got a job they wouldnt leave me alone lol... thats how it works.

Juruense

Banned
I will check my company's internal job listings at work tomorrow and attempt to help place you with my company. If you get hired I will get $3000 so it is worth my while to help you.

PM me your main areas of skill and what type of job you are looking for.

Vigilante

Established Member
It took me a few months to find a job, someone will call and dont take the first job. Also realize you may get paid less than expected, thats how it works... if you do good after a few months you will get a good raise to put you where you should be.

I interviewed with many places, non ever called me back as everyone wants people with experience already.... after I finally got a job they wouldnt leave me alone lol... thats how it works.

I never got that either, do you have a job now? Thats probably whats killing you.

Employers don't want people that are 'looking' for jobs. Never have never will, they want someone with a job as you are applying.

^Learn it. Live it. Love it. Number one reason why you don't get a job(helps even more if its related).

Juruense

Banned
Yes they want someone that already has a job but that problem can be overcome by effective networking. See post #8 for more information...

stangin99

Established Member
It takes a few months to get a job in the engineering field unless you are at the top of your class.

Even then, I'm surprised it's taken you so long. I know the market is flooded with ME's but you shouldn't have much of a problem.

If anything, take a local job that pays "ok" and work there for 6+ months while you job hunt for a great job. That will give you some experience to put on your resume, cash in your pocket, and something to do in the meantime.

tmaschm

Established Member
I will check my company's internal job listings at work tomorrow and attempt to help place you with my company. If you get hired I will get $3000 so it is worth my while to help you.

PM me your main areas of skill and what type of job you are looking for.

pm sent.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Took me two weeks to get an offer and I was nowhere near the top of my class :shrug: Do you have any experience, ie coops or internships? That's really the only way to get your foot in the door; most recruiters/managers I've talked to have told me GPA doesn't matter nearly as much in Engineering as in other degrees; it's the experience that counts. I even had one tell me point blank that he won't hire a 4.0 because it shows they had no life :lol1:

Oh, and btw, minors aren't degrees. They're minors.

Shoot me a PM with your info, I can ask around, but - all the companies I have contacts with here in Houston are on a hiring freeze. Yes, the economy really is that bad.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I am still out here in the sandbox after 5 years simply because the economy still sux ass.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Ok I'm sick and tired of waiting for employers to hire me, this is bullshit. Four years ago when I was coming into college recruiters told me how I would probably be hired right out of school if not before I graduated. Well guess what its been a month now and still no job. Even places I have connections at won't hire me right now. I know what you guys are thinking, this guy probably went to community college and got some bs degree in general studies or some other random degree. No, I went to a 4 year college (Arkansas), and got not one, not two, but three degrees (Major in Mechanical Engineering w/ a 3.5 GPA, and Minors in Math and business management). So as you can tell I'm pretty pissed. I apply to new jobs online daily and never hear anything back. I am very self motivated and a self starter and I can't get anything. What do you guys think is going on? Is the economy really so bad that an engineer who finished school towards the top of his class can't get a job? If you guys know anything about any jobs let me know.:bored:

I got four degrees, Astronomy, Astrobiology, Math, Physics

And I got two job offers before I graduated, one that I took.

Maybe you need 4 degrees not 3?

tmaschm

Established Member
Took me two weeks to get an offer and I was nowhere near the top of my class :shrug: Do you have any experience, ie coops or internships? That's really the only way to get your foot in the door; most recruiters/managers I've talked to have told me GPA doesn't matter nearly as much in Engineering as in other degrees; it's the experience that counts. I even had one tell me point blank that he won't hire a 4.0 because it shows they had no life :lol1:

Oh, and btw, minors aren't degrees. They're minors.

Yes, I had an internship with a different company every summer. My latest internship was with FedEx. I worked in the flight simulation engineering department.

As for the minors I edited my original post, just for you.

tmaschm

Established Member
I got four degrees, Astronomy, Astrobiology, Math, Physics

And I got two job offers before I graduated, one that I took.

Maybe you need 4 degrees not 3?

Maybe...I think I might get my masters if the company that hires me supports some type of program to get it. You a Penn St. grad??

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Damn, my two good friends that were at Georgia Tech [ME and EE] both had offers before graduation and didn't have stellar grades. My mom does a lot of recruiting for her company and they bring in a lot of GT and Clemson students for coops. They give you an 8 week tour [I think] of the company and all of the positions that you could receive an offer for. They make an offer and the students either take it or leave it. If you want to PM I can give you her email address, they have locations all of the East but they are generally smaller towns/areas [I'm assuming for labor costs]. Also, the company is American Woodmark. There is a plant in Humboldt TN.

Last edited by a moderator:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
is your resume horrible? A bad resume will not even get you in the door. My wife was a recruiter, and she said people who can't even do a good resume get tossed in the trash can. (spelling, grammar, word usage, experience, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread