Emissions Requirements in Mass.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Hey guys, I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for. I just moved here a couple weeks ago, and was wondering how long I had to get my license/plates changed over to Mass. plates, and how often an emissions test is required. In Tennessee only the counties in and around Memphis and Nashville had to go through emissions, so I was just wondering about here. Thanks guys.

LS2GTO

Established Member
There's no emission testing here, they just plug into the OBDII port and read your codes/readiness. As long as you pass those (you can have 1 not-ready status) you are fine. Some look under the car for cats and whatnot, but there's no sniffer or anything like that.

There's no set limit on when you have to change you tags, it's not like the cops know that you don't live at so and so address anymore. I'd do it just for the simplicty, but there's not rule saying that you have to have a mass license/registration for you to drive in the state. For all they know, you could still be living in TN.

I went to school here for 4 years and drove a NJ tagged car with a NJ license. When I got pulled over, they said nothing regarding the fact that I was driving in Mass with NJ credentials.

Welcome, maybe I'll see your Cobra around...I'm in Allston.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Sounds very similar to what they did in Tennessee. They just plug into the computer and look under the car for cats and pretty much that's it. Thanks for the quick replies guys, and I'm not out in the Cobra much because I'm still looking for a job up here. I just have to take it out everyday at some point to remember why I love her so much.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
There is an annual safety inspection in MA...

AS for plates...I am pretty sure the time frame is 90 days. You can probably confirm on the Mass RMV site Welcome MassDOT - Registry Division

I woudn't recomend keeping out of state plates on your car for very long as cops love to bust balls over stuff like that. Espeically in the fact you have a cobra , it's an easily identifiable car.

When I moved from CT to MA, I was pulled over about a month after I got here, first thing the cop asked me was when I moved to MA and said I needed Mass plates.

Users who are viewing this thread