Emissions in TN and NC question(s).

TXRickC

Established Member
Looking at possibly moving to TN or NC in Sunmer 2015 from Austin TX and wanted to get an idea of what the or if there are emissions tests with your state inspections? I'm currently running an O/R H-pipe and here would have to swap back to stock H in order to pass. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
No emissions tests in TN as far as I know. Only place possibly testing is the Nashville area but not sure, maybe someone can chime in on that.

Def no testing here in west TN

Blackoyote

Established Member
NC does emission testing, but if you have no CEL on and you find a shop that doesn't do visual confirmation, you can pass.

98v8

Established Member
Nashville is only area in tn that does testing lived in east tn all my life never had to get an inspection

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
My Cobra has passed the NC inspection for the three years that I've lived here. I have stock manifolds, Bassani OR X-pipe, Corsa mufflers, and MIL eliminators. As long as you have no CEL/MIL, the "visual inspection" rule is somewhat open to interpretation. Find a shop that does inspections and specializes in hotrods and you shouldn't have any problems. Even if you fail the inspection, you have 60 or 90 days to attempt to rectify the situation before they will revoke your registration and, from what I have overheard, that is waiverable as long as you spend a certain amount of money trying to get the car to pass emissions.

The bottom line is that emissions inspections are nothing more than a way for the states to make revenue and appease treehuggers at the same time without really infringing on the hotrodding hobby too much.

Users who are viewing this thread