Emissions for California?

LaffnJack

Established Member
I am new to the Lightning, althought not to SVT. I sold my '98 Cobra a month ago to get the down on a '04 L. My question is what aftermarket parts are going to cause problems with having the bi-yearly smog check? I know that Cat-backs are fine as well as drop in air filters. But which CAI kit, if any, has a CARB number? Also what about upper plenums and SBTB? Are there any with a CARB number or are 50 state legal? And while I am asking, does anyone know a good tuner/performance shop in SoCal.

Thanks in advance,
-J-

Last edited:

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
my truck is tuned by DANNY SWANSON. bad ass tuner
SWANSONPERFORMANCE.COM
my truck is making 579 flywheel hp on a ported eaton, built by MSX.

Last edited:

Lightningfr

Banned
k%n had the only carb exempt intake when i looked a while ago..
thats what i use...
short header are carb ex so is cat back...
and the bbk TB are ex... its just a VISUAL INSPECTION! #$%^*&(

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
If im not mistaken, your truck isnt bi-yearly for smog. Its a new vehicle, so it should be 5 years i believe.

I'D WIN

Established Member
Legislation enacted during 2004 made several changes in motor vehicle Smog Check exemptions that will become effective next year (2005).

Following is a summary of the revised exemptions and the effective date of each change:

More information can be found by using the following links:

Do I need a Smog

Vehicle Smog Inspection Chart

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Being that Im rolling the L to cali in about 3 weeks, im working on saving up a couple hundred to get a chip and probably seeking a tune from Greg at RET. I've followed that guy's work commentaries through SocalHP and it seems like he really knows his shit.

I cant wait :)

LaffnJack

Established Member
Thank you Gentlemen. I appreciate the feed back. I have heard a number of good things about Greg and will probably be contacting him when the time comes.

-J-

rphinney

Established Member
The 5 year rule only applies to the original owner, once the vehicle is resold it is then on the 2 year plan. Regardles if it is 6 months old or whatever.

Replacing the intake is hit and miss, K&N may be the only CARB legal one but if you only change stuff before the MAF (ex. replace airbox) that will work sometimes. changing the elbow will cause more issues. Long tubes are a no-no. As for the throttle body and plenum, if the aftermarket names are not in plain sight you can pull it off.

Having a built motor doesnt mean sh!t for smog, that has only todo with your tuners abilty, big cams mean no vacuum and sparatic fueling, Tuners who can get it to run clean at test speeds (low RPM) are few and far between. So often a good tune is attributed to max HP flat out on a dyno, most people don't realize the thing is so rich at idle it will burn up the cats in 6 months time.

I'D WIN

Established Member
When I lived in Cali with my highly modified Lightning, I got it to pass smog every single time.

Full exhaust, damn near every bolt-on mod you can think of, you name it, it was on there to include a completely visible nitrous kit.

Many others throughout Cali are also doing it with ZERO problems. Full exhaust, complete intake setups, everything has been tried and put to the test. I have been in the game for a long time and only a hand full of people in Cali have had ANY problems which those who did were minor BS.

Don't let that CARB non-sense intimidate you!

Lightningfr

Banned
when i had my mustang i had shorty headers bbk intake and throttle body
i past all the emission BS
but he wouldnt give me the ticket cuz i didnt have any CARB STICKERS!!!
after 20 min of aruging saying i didnt need one for the headers and TB he still wouldnt pass me so i left a cloud of smoke on his drive way =p

Its WHO you know just need to find someone who doesnt care about the visual shit

camcojb

Established Member
I'D WIN said:
When I lived in Cali with my highly modified Lightning, I got it to pass smog every single time.

Full exhaust, damn near every bolt-on mod you can think of, you name it, it was on there to include a completely visible nitrous kit.

Many others throughout Cali are also doing it with ZERO problems. Full exhaust, complete intake setups, everything has been tried and put to the test. I have been in the game for a long time and only a hand full of people in Cali have had ANY problems which those who did were minor BS.

Don't let that CARB non-sense intimidate you!

Full exhaust should never pass in California. You got lucky that whomever inspected your truck didn't know what they were doing.

Anything that moves the location or number of cats (which a full exhaust does both assuming LT's) is illegal in California.

With the correct tune they'll pass at the pipe, but that won't matter when it fails the visual.

Jody

CaliBolt

Established Member
My nitrous tune, by Sal from PSP, passes smog here in Cali. I drive everyday on my nitrous tune and have passed smog no problem with it.

I'D WIN

Established Member
Your right Jody, it should NOT but it still can and may.

Visually, a lot of things will NOT pass in Cali but even without knowing the person in control, I have still passed with flying colors.

Users who are viewing this thread