Emission in Austin TX(Moving there in 2 weeks)

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
Hey guys/gals , I have been inactive in the forum for quite a while. Anyways, I am moving to Austin from Kansas and was wondering if there was a way around the emissions law. I was planning on purchasing another mustang and with full bolt ons (longtubes, intake, o/r x) i dont think I could get the vehicle titled. Also, i removed the cat on my 08 gsxr 600 and installed a shorty slip on in its place. I am now worried I wont be able to get it registered. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew123654

Established Member
The bike should be fine, motorcycles are safety only aswell as diesel and any vehicle weighing over 8500lbs. The car on the other hand.... Im in the same boat as you. I use to be a state inspector when I worked at ford in Georgetown. My original plan was to get it inspected in Killeen which is a different county that only does safety but iv heard rumors all counties in texas are switching to safety and emissions by 2016. But from your mod list all you should need is a shorty catted x-pipe and the tune to enable cats.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
If you can't find anyone to do it in Austin or Killeen. There are a ton of places in Waco that will put a sticker on without even doing a real inspection. I would not worry about it. A friend of mine had a fox with a cammed 460 with open headers pass inspection in round rock one time a few years back. Neither one of us could believe they put a sticker on it but they did.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
It depends on which county you live in. Travis county does not do emission testing, Williamson County does though.

this is incorrect. Travis and williamson both require emissions testing. and as of 2012 or so you have to have your car inspected according to the standards of the county it is registered in. So you can't take a vehicle registered in Travis county to a county that does not have emissions testing and get it inspected.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
as already stated, it depends on the county. that being said, go to a meet or gtg and get to know the guys there, they will help find a shop that will do it, problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread