Eminent domain @ its finest

txyaloo

Established Member
It happens. We lost a house near a university due to eminent domain. College apartments are where it was now.

It's also very likely we will lose some land in the next year or two for a wind farm project. I'm not too thrilled about that.

2k3gt

Established Member
Always thought that was kinda a strange law..hmm..

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
It happens. We lost a house near a university due to eminent domain. College apartments are where it was now.

It's also very likely we will lose some land in the next year or two for a wind farm project. I'm not too thrilled about that.

Did they treat you fairly when the financial trade off took place? I always thought that could be terribly difficult to repay the victims of this law.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
government can basically do what they want and there isn't much you can do about it.

SVT4ME

Established Member
I believe in eminent dominan but this is really border line for me. I mean in the end you'll have a park. If you needed to construct a new park for a certain park of town and you needed to get some land would it be out of line? Sure why not.

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
maybe i would understand if they needed to build a freeway or something else of that nature but for a f.n memorial?? in bumblef*** Pennsylvania put a flag in the ground and be done with it. a 2000sqft memorial is ridiculous imo.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
maybe i would understand if they needed to build a freeway or something else of that nature but for a f.n memorial?? in bumblef*** Pennsylvania put a flag in the ground and be done with it. a 2000sqft memorial is ridiculous imo.
The memorial is 2000 Sq ft, but they want a total of 2200 ACRES for the whole park it will reside in. :nonono: I'm all for a memorial, but the amount of land they want for it is rediculous.

U.M.

Last edited:

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
I don't mind Eminent Domain taking place so long as it's for the good of the general public. But for private developers to use & abuse? Hell no!

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
The memorial is 2000 Sq ft, but they want a total of 2200 ACRES for the whole park it will reside in. :nonono: I'm all for a memorial, but the amount of land they want for it is rediculous.

U.M.

To help put things in perspective look up the US Park Service land grabbing activities in Gettysburg, Pa. There are 3 entities in the town that own land. In order of greatest to least: Park Service>Gettysburg College>Everyone else.

The only time rich uptight blue bloods lose real estate battles is when they go against guys with green pants and tan shirts.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
If the folks who owned the property had educated themselves, and then obtained the land patent for their land, this would not be an issue for them. Another example of why it is important for everyone in this nation to study, and educate themselves concerning their rights, and how to protect them.

Robert Francis

Established Member
Most people that don't have a problem with "eminent domain" don't own the property that's being taken. Fortunately for most of us, if we're lucky this won't happen to us.

"Eminent domain" is a provison that is a surprise to people who "think" because they've bought some property and live in America that they have a "right" to keep that property. Well as it turns out, if someone "more important" than you comes along with something "bigger" than you, you may not have a right to keep it. These are some things they usually don't tell you when you buy property.

txyaloo

Established Member
If the folks who owned the property had educated themselves, and then obtained the land patent for their land, this would not be an issue for them. Another example of why it is important for everyone in this nation to study, and educate themselves concerning their rights, and how to protect them.

Land patents will do you jack shit in Texas.

My family has original Mexican land patents from the early 1830's and Republic of Texas patents from the 1840's. If the state want's to take that land through eminent domain, they will.

txyaloo

Established Member
Did they treat you fairly when the financial trade off took place? I always thought that could be terribly difficult to repay the victims of this law.

I don't think we got fair market value for the house, but there wasn't anything we could do. They wanted it and were going to get it one way or the other.

This power line project has just started. We're not sure which parcel it's going over yet, but we received letters for two different sections of land 30 miles from each other. :nonono:

scottminot

Established Member

I live fairly close to the "area" and I couldn't agree more. Place a damn memorial stone with the names of the people on the plane with about an acre of land surrounding it and be done with it. Why do they need so much land?

slider701

Established Member
They probably want 2200 acres so they can scour the land and find the pieces of the missile that was used to shoot flight 93 down. There is no way the passengers flew this one into the ground.......it was shot down

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
They probably want 2200 acres so they can scour the land and find the pieces of the missile that was used to shoot flight 93 down. There is no way the passengers flew this one into the ground.......it was shot down

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Quick, put on your protective gear and run for the hills... :rollseyes

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread