Emergency please help

ademily87

Established Member
Just drove my 03 cobra through a giant water puddle and it started sputtering and shut off.

Tried to restart it but still sputters.

Stranded in such a bad neighborhood the cop asked if I had protection. Took my gun outta my car today while cleaning it. Tow truck on the way.

Wtf would you do??? Have a girl with me. Sitting in the car with windows up and door locked.

Is my motor ruined??

9svt8

Bleeds Ford Blue
Established Member
I wouldn't try starting it any more for sure. Wait till you get home, pull all plugs out and then crank it just to see if water shoots out.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
you most likely flooded the filter and it pulled some water onto the MAF. Had the same thing happen on a 04GT i had with a centri blower. Used to carry a spare filter and maf cleaner just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
I wouldn't try starting it any more for sure. Wait till you get home, pull all plugs out and then crank it just to see if water shoots out.

Good idea.

If you sucked in water that's why the engine died. Careful it could lock up and bend a rod. Do the above and spray some starter fluid down the spark plug holes to dry up all that moisture. You should be good just quit forcing the start

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Big...

And if it does shoot water out?

Pull all eight and let it blow out. IMMEDIATLEY change oil and filter and hope you get lucky and nothing warped or cracked. idle 30 mins and change oil and filter again. and again

BRNG ITT

Established Member

Agreed.

FWIW, Hope you're okay. Next time, it might cost you a little more, but buy your pot in a nicer neighborhood.

ademily87

Established Member
Lol We were just driving through after a movie and headed to the bar waiting for the rain to stop. I did get offered to buy a blunt though ha

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
+1 LOL...

On a serious note, you most likely flooded the filter and it pulled some water onto the MAF. Had the same thing happen on a 04GT i had with a centri blower. Used to carry a spare filter and maf cleaner just in case.

If that was the case and not ingestion of water into the cylinders he could remove the filter *for the short drive* and unplug the MAF to bypass it. BUT, again you're banking on the issue being the MAF is wet instead of the cylinders being wet. I wouldn't want to bank that on a bottom end.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
If that was the case and not ingestion of water into the cylinders he could remove the filter *for the short drive* and unplug the MAF to bypass it. BUT, again you're banking on the issue being the MAF is wet instead of the cylinders being wet. I wouldn't want to bank that on a bottom end.

Very true but unless he was running without a filter i HIGHLY doubt he forced enough water through the filter to fill the cylinders unless the water was headlight deep. but anything is possible.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If you're in that bad of a neighborhood why on earth did the police officer not stay until the tow arrived?

With that said, you can try detaching the filter and unplugging the MAF. If you haven't hydrolocked the engine, it should start and you can limp it home.

However, if the puddle is as big as you state, it's highly possible that you hydrolocked the engine. If that's the case, there's a good possibility of internal damage. Usually a bent rod in teh case of a true hydrolock.

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
sucks that happened OP. also wondering why the cop didn't tay until help arrived.

as far as your car is concerned, hoping you just have a maf issue as they can be got for relatively cheap.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
One of my old mustangs wet under water majorly. Pulled plugs and turned key a few times. Started up first time afterwards. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread