Email Questions?

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
I'm having problems with my personal account and my school email account. Here's my problem:
My personal account (Windows Live) gets all of my school email (gmail), while my school account gets nothing, even when I send it from my personal, it goes right back to the inbox of my personal. I've been working through the options and settings of both for the last couple hours to no avail. Some of you might say, "That's no problem, you only have to check one email..." But I don't want my personal email getting everything from the school, I'd rather it be separate.

Thanks in advance!:beer:

PureStang

Established Member
i know that this isn't what your asking, but have you set up filters in your personal email? Like let your personal email go to the actual inbox, the filter your school email to another folder?

Thats how i have my gmail account...i filter all my webmail (school) into another folder so the two don't interfere with each other.

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
i know that this isn't what your asking, but have you set up filters in your personal email? Like let your personal email go to the actual inbox, the filter your school email to another folder?

Thats how i have my gmail account...i filter all my webmail (school) into another folder so the two don't interfere with each other.

Thanks, but I've done that; my problem is how can I get it in my school email so I can respond to it with the gmail account so I don't end up using my personal account and it possibly leading to confusion or something. I'm ok with tech, I guess, but this is beyond me. :shrug:

txyaloo

Established Member
I'm having problems with my personal account and my school email account. Here's my problem:
My personal account (Windows Live) gets all of my school email (gmail), while my school account gets nothing, even when I send it from my personal, it goes right back to the inbox of my personal. I've been working through the options and settings of both for the last couple hours to no avail. Some of you might say, "That's no problem, you only have to check one email..." But I don't want my personal email getting everything from the school, I'd rather it be separate.

Thanks in advance!:beer:

Sounds like you have Hotmail downloading the email from your gmail account. When it downloads the email, it deletes the messages on the server. You can turn that setting off so Hotmail no longer checks Gmail or you can just disable POP access in Gmail.

Windows Live Hotmail Help Center - Send And Receive Mail From Other E-mail Accounts

That tells you how to enable checking outside accounts in Hotmail. Just follow the directions. When you get down to Step 5, see if your gmail account is listed. If it is, delete it.

Otherwise, you can follow these directions from the same help page. Instead of selecting "enable" like the instructions say, select "disable". That should turn off POP access and keep your email on the gmail servers.

Set up your Gmail account:

Sign in to your Gmail account.

Click Settings.

Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

In the POP Download section, select either Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded) or Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.

Click Save Changes.

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
Sounds like you have Hotmail downloading the email from your gmail account. When it downloads the email, it deletes the messages on the server. You can turn that setting off so Hotmail no longer checks Gmail or you can just disable POP access in Gmail.

Windows Live Hotmail Help Center - Send And Receive Mail From Other E-mail Accounts

That tells you how to enable checking outside accounts in Hotmail. Just follow the directions. When you get down to Step 5, see if your gmail account is listed. If it is, delete it.

Otherwise, you can follow these directions from the same help page. Instead of selecting "enable" like the instructions say, select "disable". That should turn off POP access and keep your email on the gmail servers.

Cool! Got it. Thank you! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread