Elon Musk is a genius, Trump says

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
You can be totally free from PGE, but it will cost more than $50k. This is NOT the way to design a power system, but for entertainment: How much electricity do you use per month (how many kWh does your bill say you used)? If you want' to completely rely on a tesla powerwal for a month, take your billed kWh and divide it by 13.5. That will tell you the number of powerwalls you will need. But, don't forget that you have to charge those batteries....this is why you do not install a month's worth of batteries. You need to find a balance between stored energy in batteries vs power from solar.

We generally design a system to have enough battery storage to support 2-3 days worth of the building's typical electrical needs. Then, we add enough solar to be able to charge the batteries within one day of good sun. It's a lot more complicated than this, but that's the general rule of thumb.

Again, the powerwall is a battery. Batteries will hold their charge for a long time. If you charge a battery, it will still be charged 6 months from now. Will it still be 100% full in 6 months? No, but it will be very close. I truly don't understand why you think a battery magically loses power...

As long as photons are hitting the panels, they will produce some electricity. On very cloudy and rainy days, we typically see ~15% of power being produced by our solar vs a clear, sunny day. The only time we see ZERO solar production is when the solar panels are blanketed under heavy snow.

Here is a system we have in Atlanta. You can see the sunny days (the peaks you see) and you can see the very cloudy and rainy days. Clearly the solar is still producing power:

View attachment 1621111

What you've seen and heard is wrong. I, personally, have designed and installed off-grid residential power systems. It can be done and it has been done a lot, it is NOT cheap.
I originally stated Tesla value will rise when they create the tech to hold enough energy in a battery for 6 months so one does not have to deal with the power company.
You say that this technology exist but it’s not cheap.

My entire point is when battery is created that can do this for say, $10-20k, the value of this will be worthy or Tesla current stock price.

I’ll say it again. When a battery exist for under $20k that can hold 1k kWh for family size home to live off the grid, I believe this will be worth a fortune.

08mojo

Established Member
I originally stated Tesla value will rise when they create the tech to hold enough energy in a battery for 6 months so one does not have to deal with the power company.
You say that this technology exist but it’s not cheap.

My entire point is when battery is created that can do this for say, $10-20k, the value of this will be worthy or Tesla current stock price.

I’ll say it again. When a battery exist for under $20k that can hold 1k kWh for family size home to live off the grid, I believe this will be worth a fortune.

tenor.gif

blk02edge

Established Member
I think people are hiiiiighly mislead when they think its Tesla that will be the ground breaker. They don't hold any significant patents and ALL the big companies are diving in balls deep to electric tech. 5 years from now will be very different

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I just heard they were working hard on battery tech. I hope someone else beats them to it personally. Elon gets everyone else to pay for things and he reaps the rewards.

blk02edge

Established Member
I just heard they were working hard on battery tech. I hope someone else beats them to it personally. Elon gets everyone else to pay for things and he reaps the rewards.
The Koreans or Japanese will win that tech no contest

Users who are viewing this thread