Electronics Question

SohowcomeHottie

SVT Goddess
Established Member
Ok I am not a major smartie nor major dumbie on electronics but here is the deal if anyone has any input.

My daughter has a tv, vcr and now a dvd player. When we put in a dvd the player plays it funny, the images are distorted. At first we thought it was the crappy old dvd player we had for her, so we bought her a new one for Christmas. Well needless to say it does the same thing. What is weird is like a couple dvds play just fine on it, the rest don't. I am thinking its maybe the tv but I'm not sure. The vcr plays things just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
How are you running the DVD and VCR to the TV? If you're running the DVD through the VCR or visa versa try running the DVD player straight to the TV and see if that helps.

mx_9

Established Member
Shielding or grounding may be the culprit(s). Also, are you plugging the dvd player into one of the other components? if so, try plugging it directly into its own jack.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
This is what you need to do. You cant play the dvd through the vcr, you need an RF Modulator. They are about 30 bucks from Radioshack. IM assuming your TV is old, and doesnt have RCA inputs. If it does, connect the DVD player directly to the TV, and hook up your incoming input through the VCR. If not, you hook up the DVD player using RCA cables into the RF Modulator, put whatever your input is into the RF modulater via coax cable, then the output from the RF modulator to the tv. Its an automatic switch, so when you turn the DVD player on, the picture pops up on the tv right away.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
mike79 said:
This is what you need to do. You cant play the dvd through the vcr, you need an RF Modulator. They are about 30 bucks from Radioshack. IM assuming your TV is old, and doesnt have RCA inputs. If it does, connect the DVD player directly to the TV, and hook up your incoming input through the VCR. If not, you hook up the DVD player using RCA cables into the RF Modulator, put whatever your input is into the RF modulater via coax cable, then the output from the RF modulator to the tv. Its an automatic switch, so when you turn the DVD player on, the picture pops up on the tv right away.

Like a PS-2 :thumbsup:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Also TV have buttons to select between TV or VCR (input)mode, also some require a certain channel, try switching between channels 2,3 or 4.

SohowcomeHottie

SVT Goddess
Established Member
Well Zach hooked it all up. He has the vcr plugged into the tv and the dvd into the vcr. I just know the vcr has to be on and on auxiliary mode to work.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
SohowcomeHottie said:
Well Zach hooked it all up. He has the vcr plugged into the tv and the dvd into the vcr. I just know the vcr has to be on and on auxiliary mode to work.

Then your problem is what Mike said. You need an adapter for the DVD player. You should be able to find one at any electronics store. Just tell them you have an old school TV and want to hook up a DVD player to it. They'll give you what you need.

SohowcomeHottie

SVT Goddess
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
Then your problem is what Mike said. You need an adapter for the DVD player. You should be able to find one at any electronics store. Just tell them you have an old school TV and want to hook up a DVD player to it. They'll give you what you need.

And that will play her dvds right? Why does it play some and not others?

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
SohowcomeHottie said:
And that will play her dvds right? Why does it play some and not others?

I'm not sure but I know that I can't play a DVD player through my VCR or I would. I have an early 90's sharp TV with the old hook up in the back. I had to get a modulator to play them and it worked fine.

zeener96

Established Member
Above info is correct, ran into same problem a couple years ago.

A DVD player needs RCA or S-video to transmit signal. If you don't want to buy a new tv, the modulator will work also.

SohowcomeHottie

SVT Goddess
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
I'm not sure but I know that I can't play a DVD player through my VCR or I would. I have an early 90's sharp TV with the old hook up in the back. I had to get a modulator to play them and it worked fine.

ok I'll tell Zach thanks ;)

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
You cant play a DVD through a VCR because the input volts are different. Thats why sometimes you get it in black and white, or the screen rolls a lot. Some VCR's do allow you to do it, but not many.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
SohowcomeHottie said:
Are you paying for it? :)
I have 4 of my own little joys that make me po' in the wallet and rich in life. Yuk did I just say that out loud?

Users who are viewing this thread