Electricians

kschaper

Band
Established Member
I am considering changing careers and I have always been interested in being an elecrician. Does anyone know he steps I need to take to become an electrician? I know there are several types, I am just wondeing wha I need to do. Thanks

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
Lots and lots of hours as an apprentice, then get your journeyman's and make some money...definitely high demand for good electricians right now tho, esp west coast.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Find a local electrical workers union hall and go talk to them. They can get you on the right path.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I should look into this. I'm working with the electric company right now, but it seems the only way to go and make money is to become a lineman. Something I'm not TOO crazy on doing.

LT Mig

Skrapmetal said:
Find a local electrical workers union hall and go talk to them. They can get you on the right path.

Well, I'm going to represent the "other" side, also called NON-Union.

Pro's Non-Union: My boss owns his own company, 6 employees, he makes upper 6 digit salary. To make money non-union u have to open ur own shop. In my case, my boss knows electric better than most others and does everything the right way and in accordance to code. The customer comes first; so we work long hours to get the job done. Last week I put in 67 hrs. Which is great for me because I just started, so that means I got 27 hrs over time. I only learn the RIGHT way. NOTE: this can go the other way. If my boss was all chewed up, i would only ever learn the wrong way. Company dependant, but your schooling may be coverd by the company, so school for me, is free. I work with the same group of guys everyday and we all get along. I have a very stong work ethic and would never last in the union.

Con's Non-Union: lower pay, less or no benifits to start. You will never come close to lifetime earnings vs the union if u don't open ur own shop. To open ur own shop you not only need to be a good electrician, but a good businessman as well, as shaking hands and making deals is what pays the bills.

Bottom line...You will never be rich working for someone else. The union will never make you rich, but its the safe choice, and you will get paid well. However, there will always be electrical work everywhere in the country, reguardless of the economy. If you are smart, have a good business sense, are willing to take risks, and stay away from drugs and alcohol you will clean up in the electrical trade just like my boss. Believe it or not, alcoholics and drug addits are a dime a dozen in the electrical trade. Stay away from both and you will do well.

2001blkR

Established Member
Im wanting to be an electrical lineman and plan on going to school for it next fall. I read in the paper that they were going to be in high demand in the next couple of years. Anyone know how much a lineman makes?

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Journeyman linemen at my work (Portland General Electric, largest electric company in Oregon) start at $33/HR. What hurts is having to start as a Groundman, which pays $13/HR. I, doing very basic maintenance and reading of meters, make $18/HR.

I want to make the transition to lineman, but spending a year or two as a Groundman at that pay rate will be very, very difficult for me. I have a family to support!

I don't know what an Apprentice Lineman starts off at.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Forget the Electrician thing Go become a top flight refrigeration tech. You get to work with electricity all day not to mention we typically make more per hour than electricians do. Once you become a Master, like me, you can write your own ticket. I started off 14 years ago as an apprentice helper now I own my own business and have 5 trucks on the street, I'm 40. Company's projected to do $1.25million this year alone.

Last edited:

coreseller

Established Member
Mr. Mach-ete said:
Forget the Electrician thing Go become a top flight refrigeration tech. You get to work with electricity all day not to mention we typically make more per hour than electricians do. Once you become a Master, like me, you can write your own ticket. I started off 14 years ago as an apprentice helper now I own my own business and have 5 trucks on the street, I'm 40. Company's projected to do $1.25million this year alone.

Listen to this guy!!!! But also read the age.....Not too many rewarding careers come quick, you have to be willing to put in some years before getting a big payday. This applies to most any occupation.

kschaper

Band
Established Member
I am living in northern Illinois. Thanks to all for the advice. I called the local union hall and they aren't accepting new applications until next year. Does anyone know a way I can start sooner?

Users who are viewing this thread