Electricians your input needed please.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
Basic electrical knowledge is not one of my strengths so I ask the svtp electrical savvy crowd for help as I am not trying to burn my house down! I am not going to be assembling anything only plugging things in so don't worry!

Screenshot_2013-12-22-11-26-46.png

Screenshot_2013-12-22-11-26-01.png

I am a homebrewer and recently purchased two 22 gallon conical fermenters to further the craft, I plan on insulating them with 200+ degree rated insulation used for boilers and such but before that I plan on wrapping two of this product called fermwrap around them The FermWrap to provide heating. The fermwraps will be plugged into a two outlet surge protector (don't have them yet any suggestions?) that surge protector will be plugged into a ranco two stage digital controller Ranco Digital Two-Stage Temperature Controller - Wired | MoreBeer that will then be plugged into another surge protector with 4 outlets. This surge protector will have the two rancos plugged into it which means a total of four of the fermwraps being powered by ultimately one outlet at a single time.

Basically im asking if this is a good idea or not, im not trying to burn my house down because I overloaded something. Also if you think it should be done differently what would you do.

Last edited:

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Find the amps each wrap puts out.. Than find total amperage on circuit currently. Than with everything on, on the circuit.
Than take adding that additional load in to effect. Think regular rooms are 20amp breakers.
So if you have 4 heating elements (they draw a lot of amps) each say 5 amps... Would pop that circuit if anything else added

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I would do 2x each circuit... Make sure that the room has 2x different outlets check by turning breakers off ans checking both for dead or just one.. (easy way if no multimeter)
Hmm or have someone come out out put a dedicated circuit in with a high amp breaker..

I work at a power plant so my knowledge is for high voltage steam..megawatts, mega vars... Etc basic around house knowledge meh.. Different ball game for me but going down the dirty basics.. That's a easy route

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
It says each wrap draws 40 watts at 115v. Not sure how many amps that is though.

Last edited:

tdschst

Established Member
Looks to me like it will have to be on 4 seperate circuits with the normally open contact or 2 on the normally closed. I'm assuming your doing this on a 120v line and not 240

ff500

Established Member
From what I'm reading the relays are good for 9.8 amps at 120V and the heaters are 40W at 120V. 40W divided by 120V gives you a .3 amp draw per heater.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread