Electrical troubleshooting

04silversnake

Established Member
This is in the 91 gt. Probably someone can help me. When the car is running the voltage is close to the middle and the engine temperature is about 1/4 closed to the cool position at the cluster. Once I turn on the lights, A/C fan specially in hi, or any other accessories, I notice that the temperature gauge goes slightly above the middle, The more accessories I have on, the higher it goes. Now, this is not the real temperature of the coolant, I know this because if I turn off the car and restart it with lights, A/C off, the gauge goes back to 1/4. It looks like the temp gauge is affected by voltage as well. I know is not as good as having an aftermarket gauge. Also, the courtesy light gets a little dim. My question is, is there a problem with a cable that is too small for the current drawn that goes to the fuse box, and if it can be replaced for a thicker (smaller gauge) cable. Do you guys have experience this?
Any help is appreciated.
Franck

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
With an electric fan that has any pull, you are most likely over taxing your stock alternator. However, you need to put a voltmeter on the battery terminals to see what your exact voltage is during the condition...

04silversnake

Established Member
93Cobra#2771 said:
With an electric fan that has any pull, you are most likely over taxing your stock alternator. However, you need to put a voltmeter on the battery terminals to see what your exact voltage is during the condition...
I am running the stock fan clutch. I measured voltage at the battery terminal and it was fine, if I recall correctly it was close to 13 volt. but when I measured the voltage at the fues box, I got 12.xx on the fuses that are hot at all times, but voltage was low at the fues that are hot with ignition like 11.7x volts.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
You should actually have a high 13v or low 14v at the battery.

When you said fan, I thought you meant electric fan - my mistake. Do you have underdrive pullies on the car? Also, you need to check your ground cable for damage/corrosion...

04silversnake

Established Member
93Cobra#2771 said:
You should actually have a high 13v or low 14v at the battery.

When you said fan, I thought you meant electric fan - my mistake. Do you have underdrive pullies on the car? Also, you need to check your ground cable for damage/corrosion...
No problem, I was refering to the A/C fan. I dont have underdrive pullies. The ground cable looks fine. :shrug:
Also, The voltage at the battery may have been somewhere in the high 13 or low 14. I think that is what I measured. Just did not recall for sure.

Last edited:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
My 92 GT did near the same thing, when i turned on the headlight i could watch the oem tepm gauge go up a little, and when i turned them off i could see the gauge go back down. Then later the alt light would come on from time to time but the volts were fine. I bet it was a ground issuue, but I wrecked the car before i found out what was wrong

04silversnake

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
My 92 GT did near the same thing, when i turned on the headlight i could watch the oem tepm gauge go up a little, and when i turned them off i could see the gauge go back down. Then later the alt light would come on from time to time but the volts were fine. I bet it was a ground issuue, but I wrecked the car before i found out what was wrong
That is what my car does, except that my alternator light does not comes on. I will check or replace the ground cable. Even though it does not look bad, it may need replacement.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
04silversnake said:
That is what my car does, except that my alternator light does not comes on. I will check or replace the ground cable. Even though it does not look bad, it may need replacement.

Just clean the connection under the cable,and the cable itself with a wire brush or sandpaper, dont waste you money just yet.

Mt alt light didnt start coming on till the last 2 months or so before it got wrecked, but the damn temp gauge did it for about a year before the wreck

04silversnake

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
Just clean the connection under the cable,and the cable itself with a wire brush or sandpaper, dont waste you money just yet.

Mt alt light didnt start coming on till the last 2 months or so before it got wrecked, but the damn temp gauge did it for about a year before the wreck
Ok, I will try cleaning the contact surface with a wire brush, and take it from there.
Thank you all for the replies,
Franck

Users who are viewing this thread