Electrical questions for those professional electricians on here...

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll preface this by saying that I know some inspectors and county officials go by their own rules sometimes, however I'm looking for actual current NEC codes that might apply. On to the questions at hand.

Long story short, I finished out the basement and in doing so I ran the receptacles on a 20 amp circuit due to the home theater, office, and other things that might possibly be plugged in. In doing so, I also removed the electric water heater and put in a tankless gas unit. I now have the old 240 circuit cut off and capped at the moment and decided that I could actually use it outside on the back of the house when I'm doing projects with the welder and such. So here are my questions, as I perused the NEC code book but want to be sure I read everything correctly.

1)I would like to know if it is permissible to put both the 240 receptacle and a 20 amp 115 receptacle in the same double gang weather proof box. If so, on to question 2...if not, what are my options.
2)I know the 115 receptacle is required by code to have a GFCI receptacle, however since the 240 is a dedicated feed with that one outlet, do I just need a GFCI breaker and regular 240 receptable to be in compliance?

If you don't mind, could you also point me to the relevant NEC codes so that in the event they're questioned I can point to them. Thanks for any help.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
As long as they are 20 amp receptacles they should fit in a double gang box. Since they are considered rejection plugs there's no chance of accidentally plugging a 120 appliance in to the 240 receptacle. You'll need to change the 30 amp dryer breaker to a 20 amp breaker. If you wish to keep the 30 amp service, you'll need individualize the receptacles in their own boxes. They will need their own separate wires and beakers. Call a local electrician to ensure you are not violating any local electrical codes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread