Electrical problem?

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Hello,

I've noticed that my car has recently developed what seems to be an electrical problem. With the engine running, when I turn on the headlights I can see a constant change in intensity. I can also see it in the gauges when turned on and practically in every light in the car. Looks like an intermittent voltage.

I don't know what could be causing this.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Help!

Thanks!

spincobra03

Established Member
??? Unless im misunderstanding what your saying, its sounds sort of normal to me. So when you turn the headlights on you are just seeing the interior lights seem to brighten?? I think that is sort of normal. When you increase the load on the battery (headlights) you may see the lights change in intensity. Although I think they would actually be dimming not increasing in strength. However I could be all together missing what your asking lol.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
What I mean is that they go up & down in intensity (brighten, dimming, brighten, dimming...). Fast... Don't know how to explain it. Kinda like "blinking".

I've seen that before in older cars.

spincobra03

Established Member
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. I would first check your battery terminals, make sure they are very clean (no green sh*t) and very tight. Then if that looks good, I would get a flash light, what until its dark out, then turn on all of your lights and start wiggling wires around that can associated to your battery. See if you get a change in the lights. Start under the hood and then under the steering console. Thats what I would try first. It could be a loose molex plug.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
take a voltmeter and hook it to the batt. terminals. If it's happening w/ the eng. running you might have a voltage regulator problem. Any big amps or radio, any other elec. accessories running?

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Thanks!

I will clean the battery terminals, check the molex plugs and if that doesn't work, I will look for a voltmeter to check the voltage.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread