Electrical Problem?

divided

Established Member
When I got in my car after lunch I noticed the radio lost all bass on the station I was on. It was odd and once I switched stations things were fine and bass was back. Then I get to work and am idling in my parking spot reading an email and the car just stalls and dies. Then after work I leave and notice one of my Aeroforce gauges is messed up. Its all black and distorted (still fully powered though) I reset the gauge by holding the 2 buttons in and it restarted and was fine. I find it odd all this happened within a few hours. I checked my battery voltage and it was/is constant between 13.6.14.0 the whole time using my Aeroforce.

Any ideas what if anything is going on?

Digital

Established Member
Search "electrical failure" on google, you'll get about as many ideas.
That is some real vague stuff and you seemed to have already checked the voltage.
There is a possibility you have a electrical gremlin in the form of a short or rubbing wire, etc.
Keep an eye on it, if it keeps happening you might wanna grab a gauge the reads your volts and stuff so you can see what's happening.
Did you check to see if your alt was ok?
Also if you get the ground from your gauges at the same place your radio does you might wanna scope that out.

Last edited:

divided

Established Member
Search "electrical failure" on google, you'll get about as many ideas.
That is some real vague stuff and you seemed to have already checked the voltage.
There is a possibility you have a electrical gremlin in the form of a short or rubbing wire, etc.
Keep an eye on it, if it keeps happening you might wanna grab a gauge the reads your volts and stuff so you can see what's happening.
Did you check to see if your alt was ok?
Also if you get the ground from your gauges at the same place your radio does you might wanna scope that out.

Yeah I know its a shot in the dark. I'll definetly keep an eye on it. I am on the stock alternator still (66,000 miles) and just replaced the battery about a month ago. When I replaced the battery they tested the alternator and it was supposedly good. But form searching on this site that doesn't mean much if anything.

divided

Established Member
Well I found the problem. I got stuck this morning at the gas station. The car wouldnt start and my alarm wouldnt disarm. Stupid-ist design ever where I cant even get in the car using my key because the alarm wont disarm. After 10 minutes finally the alarm dis-armed. I tried starting the car and got nothing, no clicks, power, etc. The odd thing was though if i tried a few times id get power to the gauges but the radio just made a weird whining sound like it was chaning cd's. Anyway after a quick call for guidance to WJURLS he pointed to the battery terminals. I checked them and sure enough the ground wasnt making a good connection and had slight corrosion. I cleaned with a wirebrush and put a piece of alumnium can over the ground terminal to get a better connection. I needed the can because the terminal itself wasn't make a strong enough connection. Car fired right up after that. At least it wasn't anything serious this time.

Good news is im picking up a 50cc scooter to use when the car goes down, haha. I can't afford to be stranded anymore.

Last edited:

VtekII

Established Member
congrats man. glad it wasnt anything to serious... on a plus side youll be riddin dirty on one a these mofos

minibike-777978.jpg

divided

Established Member
^^ Yep. I picked up the scooter today. This is basically what it looks like.

NS4Lusedkymcoagilityscooter.jpg

Can't afford a beater so this will be perfect and I only live 5 miles from work with no freeways, so its win win for me.

nooner

Established Member
That's a beautiful Cobra for your avatar, divided! I see you have a light bar. I'm wanting to add one to mine. Got any pics from the side?

Users who are viewing this thread