Electrical issue this morning with '07, need help asap

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
2007 GT500 63k miles this all just started this morning.

Keyless entry doesn't work no instrument lights or stereo no power windows no ac/heat functions no interior lights no door chime. Put key in ignition and turn forward to on push in clutch and car starts when clutch is pressed without having to turn the key. Exterior lights and hazards work with the exception of the drivers headlight, bulb is fine but won't turn on.

This is by far the weirdest thing that this car has ever done. Never had any type of electrical problem before. There was an electrical burnt smell when I unlocked it and opened the door this morning. All fuses checked out good.

I don't even know where to start with this issue? Any ideas?

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Wires were clean. Found a couple popped fuses in the cabin box. Went to replace one of them and the fuse box started smoking.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Most likely a junction block has failed. Never seen them SHORT like that though, least not on Lexus cars. Possibly even a harness somewhere rubbed raw on a bulkhead and is shorting/grounding where ought not to.

Id recommend towing to dealer/ repair facility and have it professionally diagnosed. For something like this, you might need to authorize a few hours of diag time unless its a known issue.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Not sure if it applies to OP's car, but cars that have been in collisions, and subsequently repaired, sometimes the body shop cuts corners; and wires, insulation, clips, etc do not get put back according to factory specs. The malfunction described is definitely catastrophic! I'd $*** my pants if I went to start my car one day, and all that happened.

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow to hopefully help someone should something of this manner occur. The SJB or Smart Junction Box pretty much runs everything but the engine and trans. I'm leading to believe this was due to moisture leaking through the windshield grommets and into the passenger kick panel as evidenced by surface rust on uncoated metal brackets in the kick panel and a bit of corrosion on a connector. I spent most of the evening tracing wires and checking for any other potential damage. After tearing the SJB apart it appears that the carnage was contained within the fuse box. New box is on the way and will be here tomorrow. I've found this to be a common issue among 05-09 mustangs in general. I think the only reason I've only seen a couple cases like mine is not a huge number daily drives their shelby's, whereas I've taken cross country road trips in every type of weather known to man lol. I will update with pictures and more info.

Thanks everyone for the help I appreciate it!

Jay

Snoopy49

Established Member
Glad to see you found the problem. I would have thought you would have had a wet carpet on the passenger side.

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Honestly I didn't even check. It's been raining off and on here for the past few weeks and when it's not raining it's pretty hot out, and would probably dry before I got to it to check.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I would pull up the carpet on the passenger side and see if the water caused any damage and then plug the hole where the water enters the car.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
clean out the grommets and drains, long known issue on these cars, water leaks and wreaks havoc on the SJB

Users who are viewing this thread