Electrical Guru Needed- Adjustable suspension question

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
I have "dealt with it" for long enough... There has to be a work-around.
Car has the Performance Package so it has the adjustable suspension.
I had to go Viking shocks in the rear for drag setup due to stock shocks not clearing 15" wheels....
For those that don't know, when the adjustable suspension has a fault or does not detect a shock it goes in firm mode... And will try to go back to normal while the vehicle is not in motion but then will flash and revert to sport mode once you start moving..
I don't want it to do this. I want to be able to have the fronts in normal mode if I wish and still be able to change to sport.
How can this be done? No I don't want to plug my stock shocks back in and lay them in the trunk....
Some kind of adapter possible?
I don't think it can be adjusted in the tune (but haven't asked)
I also don't know if lets say I cut the top of my stock struts off and plug them into the harness if that will work.... As I don't really understand how the system works other than it opens or closes a valve in the shock correct?

Am I the only one that this bothers?
Thanks

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the 2014 Mustang Workshop Manual

The two modes are Sport (off) and Normal (on). Normal mode is activated by applying constant voltage and varying the PWM duty cycle to get the desired current. When the current is applied, the solenoid magnet opens a sliding valve allowing fluid to flow through the "comfort" piston. This results in a more compliant (softer) suspension feel. Sport mode is activated by removing the voltage from the valve solenoid.

During an ESC event, the ABS module will send messages to the VDM over the HS-CAN requesting suspension adjustment to aid in maintaining vehicle stability. Also, the VDM will monitor vehicle speed and when a certain vehicle speed is achieved, the VDM will change to sport mode to aid in maintaining vehicle stability.

ABS - Anti-Lock Brake System
ESC - Electronic Stability Control
HS-CAN - High Speed Controller Area Network
PWM - Pulse-Width Modulation
VDM - Vehicle Dynamics Module

Last edited:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
All of mine are unplugged and occasionally my light will flicker between sport and normal. I've wondered if a very small resistor jumped across the plug would trick the system into thinking the bilsteins are still there.

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the 2014 Mustang Workshop Manual

Maybe these will help you or someone else figure out a workaround.

Vehicle Dynamic Suspension System Diagram.jpg

Vehicle Dynamic Suspension System Diagram 2.jpg

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Take a DMM (digital multi meter), put it in ohm meter mode and measure the resistance of the solenoid on the OEM shock with it unplugged from the vehicle's harness. Be sure not to touch anything with your hands as you probe the connectors on the OEM shock or you will get an erroneous reading on the ohm meter.

Whatever that solenoid resistance turns out to be, put a resistor of that size across the terminals that plug into the shock. Be sure to get a resistor that can handle the current load (not get hot and fry). You may want to measure the voltage coming to these two terminals on the plug connector that is on the vehicle's wiring harness.

PCM should see the resistance and think a shock is plugged in....IF it looks just for resistance.

A solenoid is also an inductor so if it is getting hit with an AC signal (like you get with PWM), then you'll have to remove the solenoids from the OEM shocks and plug them in for it to think they're there.

Hope this helps. If you need help figuring out what resistor to buy, give me a shout again because I still know about bad boys raping our young girls but violet gives willingly. :-D

Mike

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
If you need help figuring out what resistor to buy, give me a should again because I still know about bad boys raping our young girls but violet gives willingly. :-D

Mike

The good old days. I doubt that many people know the color codes.
.--. .-. --- -... .- -... .-.. -.-- .- -... --- ..- - .- ... -- .- -. -.-- - .... .- - .-. . -- . -- -... . .-. -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . .-.-.-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread