Electrical Gremlins (steering column, wires smoking)

Kennedy

Established Member
Guys,

Could use some help. Got in my 97 Mustang Cobra (175K mi daily) the other day. It wouldn't start and the steering column was smoking from some melted wires. I disconnected the battery and got to work another way.

My first thought was the ignition switch, so I replaced that with a ford part. That did not resolve the issue. The car would not crank, theft light is flashing and still had wires smoking (looks like more turn signal stalk), though less. The left turn signal light is also illuminated.

I disconnected the turn signal assembly, but the car still won't start.

Any ideas or pointers?

Adding urgency to the scenario I am moving (from VA to CO) in two weeks and was planning on driving the car (vs shipping it).

Thanks for taking a look and your thoughts.

Chris

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Id probably start with the battery still disconnected (due to the whole airbag thing) start taking the steering column trim off so you can see whats going on. If the theft light is flashing rapidly somethings probably effecting the PATS system so it's not getting any fuel

Kennedy

Established Member
Thanks for the prompt reply...i did remove the surround of the steering column. I think I may peel back the wrap around the wires to see if something shorted out. Also, I will pull off the PATS assembly and check those wires. Car has had very few issue over its life, but I drove through torrential rains the other day, so something may have gotten wet. BTW...I see you are in Central FL. I graduated from Apopka in 97

mnewxcv

Established Member
Definitely need to identify where the smoke is coming from. Sounds like PATS wires and turn signal wires could both be melted and shorting. This isn't something you really want to magically fix itself, you need to identify the problem because the last thing you need on a road trip is to be left stranded.

Kennedy

Established Member
Agreed. I did some more investigation. I had a scan gauge plugged into the OBD2 port to provide me some sensor data while driving. The smoke was coming from there. When I pulled it and tried to start the car, no more smoke, but the car doesn't start.

Wondering if it is the PCM, looking up how to test that.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Keep an eye on the Theft light. Count the flashes, and it will give you a code.
For example: 3 quick flashes, a pause, followed by 2 quick flashes would be code 32.

Kennedy

Established Member
A few updates:

PATS seems to prove out...meaning I put a key in, turn it forward (but not crank) and the light goes out.

I checked all underhood fuses, in particular, the 20 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse block. They all look good.

There was a test I found for the PCM that I am going to execute. Given the chain of events (smoke and melting from the OBD2 port) I think the PCM might be it, but want to be sure.

Thanks again all for your help.

Chris

Kennedy

Established Member
OK...got it running! Thanks all!!!

So what fixed the car...I reloaded the factory tune from my XCal (version 1). My car has an aviator swap with a ported cobra intake and some other light mods, so about 12 years ago, I had a tune for that setup put in.

Going to button it up and do some other mx before we head back to Colorado.

Again, thanks for those who checked in, or posted help.

Regards,
Chris

Kennedy

Established Member
Update...back to not working.

Smoke cleared, it was the scan gauge smoking in the OBD port.

Order of events was, loaded the Factory tune from the SCT Xcalibrator (version 1) and the car worked. Went to drive it today and no dice. Tried to reload the factory or upgraded tune and it isn't working. Probably time to call in a pro.

Thanks,
Chris

Kennedy

Established Member
Car is a bit schizophrenic.

Started up today.

This has me wondering. If moisture from the storm and large puddles was the issue, it has been hot and it may have evaporated it. I drove the car for about 30 mins and added some engine bay heat in case that helps. I will start it again tomorrow.

If this is some component or connection that is flakey I am still looking for it.

Thanks,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread