electric water pump

CrazyPerson

Established Member
anyone hvae an electric waterpump on their car? is it worth getting? what is the best one? where can i get it? i know its a lot of questions but let me know! please:) thx

95SC

Banned
We don't have much choices ,Meziere is the only available electric water pump for modular engines.

OttoCobra

Established Member
Meziere FTMFW !!

One of my favorite mods. I've been rocking it for 3 years now on my Teksid block.

$300 well spent IMO. :rockon:

blkstangman88

Established Member
ive had mine for bout a yr now and luv it! i installed it with a KB 180 t-stat. car stays at a constant temp even in hot traffic!

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I wouldn't in a street car. there is way less chance for a pulley powered one to fail, than an electric car. Now on a track car, it's way different.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
ive had mine for bout a yr now and luv it! i installed it with a KB 180 t-stat. car stays at a constant temp even in hot traffic!

Did you see any power increase? I have been contemplating this mod for a while now.:banana:

goat-ee

Established Member
Had mine for a couple of years. Works great, I only installed mine because the original went out and I STOLE a brand new one on eBay!!! I didn't see any difference at the track and the cooling seems the same. Very well engineered piece and I see no reason why you wouldn't run it on a street car, as I have with zero issues. BTW...it looks badass too!!

SNAKEYE

Established Member
You don't get something for nothing.
Electric water pumps draw electricity from the alternator, which is driven by the serpentine belt, just like the mechanical water pump. In a street car, it's a wash.
Their only advantage comes in that you can switch them on (along with the electric fan) using battery power to circulate and cool the coolant when the engine is off between 1/4 mile runs.

blkstangman88

Established Member
im no expert but im pretty sure theres less drag from adding 10amps to the alt then having the engine move water. but its a win lose situation, half the ppl will and half wont. take ur pick

SNAKEYE

Established Member
im no expert but im pretty sure theres less drag from adding 10amps to the alt then having the engine move water. but its a win lose situation, half the ppl will and half wont. take ur pick

Well, physics being what it is, work is work.
To get the same amount of coolant flow from either pump, over the same period of time, the same amount of work (force x distance) is done. (Force x distance) is torque, be it developed by the serpentine belt or an electric motor. And then there are the efficiencies involved. If the impellers of both pumps are equally efficient, the direct drive of the serpentine belt on the mechanical pump is more efficient than converting the mechanical drive of the serpentine belt into electrical energy with an alternator, and then converting it back to mechanical energy with an electric motor.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
word. I just got a brand new water pump today for 29 bucks. Car doesnt need it, but im a stickler on routine maintenece. 11 years on the factory pump and almost 50k miles. Why not change it.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Well, physics being what it is, work is work.
To get the same amount of coolant flow from either pump, over the same period of time, the same amount of work (force x distance) is done. (Force x distance) is torque, be it developed by the serpentine belt or an electric motor. And then there are the efficiencies involved. If the impellers of both pumps are equally efficient, the direct drive of the serpentine belt on the mechanical pump is more efficient than converting the mechanical drive of the serpentine belt into electrical energy with an alternator, and then converting it back to mechanical energy with an electric motor.

:rolling: Except, you could pull the serpentine belt completely and still have power to the electric water pump. The alternator is doing nearly the same job with or without the pump.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
:rolling: Except, you could pull the serpentine belt completely and still have power to the electric water pump. The alternator is doing nearly the same job with or without the pump.

Without a serpentine belt you would have no output from the alternator to charge the battery to run any electrical equipment, let along power steering, power brakes, and A/C, and, eventually, enough battery power left for the ignition.
At 746 watts per one horsepower, at a nominal 14 VDC, to develop one horsepower would require some 50+ amps of current, and supply wiring in the range of #8 AWG.
Obviously any electric coolant pump does not require such wiring or draw such amperage, so the horsepower is fractional, as is the power required to run an equivalent mechanical coolant pump. Having to reroute the serpentine belt (so as to maintain other belt-driven functions) due to the absence of a coolant pump pulley, and install and wire an electrical pump is a waste of time and money. And the losses of converting the mechanical power into electrical power and then back into mechanical power is greater than just running the pump from the serpentine belt.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Without a belt, the electric water pump runs until the battery runs out, which takes a couple hours. I know, I've left the pump running on accident a couple of times now and know how long it takes to run the battery down.

It's taking virtually the same amount of engine HP to turn the alternator with or without the electric w/p. The factory mechanical water pumps takes on the order of 5-7 hp to turn at higher rpm, not so with the electric w/p.

tt54l32v

Established Member
Without a serpentine belt you would have no output from the alternator to charge the battery to run any electrical equipment, let along power steering, power brakes, and A/C, and, eventually, enough battery power left for the ignition.
At 746 watts per one horsepower, at a nominal 14 VDC, to develop one horsepower would require some 50+ amps of current, and supply wiring in the range of #8 AWG.
Obviously any electric coolant pump does not require such wiring or draw such amperage, so the horsepower is fractional, as is the power required to run an equivalent mechanical coolant pump. Having to reroute the serpentine belt (so as to maintain other belt-driven functions) due to the absence of a coolant pump pulley, and install and wire an electrical pump is a waste of time and money. And the losses of converting the mechanical power into electrical power and then back into mechanical power is greater than just running the pump from the serpentine belt.

whoa so why is electric train got a big diesel motor up there. the benefit to the elec water pump is that it is more efficient, and takes the weight of the reciprocating parts off the crank. and for our cars it is easy to install in that it does not interfere with the stock pulley set up. and using the horsepower made by a electric motor is not equivalent to the power loss of a mechanical pump :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread