Electric Cooling Fan burning out

Deerslayer

Established Member
Couple of weeks ago noticed the car not cooling in traffic. Checked it out and sure enough the electric radiator fan was out. Picked up one at the dealership because the car was headed back to school with my son the next day. Upon checking everything out, the fuse was not blown and the relays seemed to be ok. I did notice at the plug connection one terminal had heated up. I cleaned the harness side of the plug and it looked ok. Swapped the fan, motor and resistor into the shroud that we had modified since installing the Vortech V3. Installed it, started her up and everything was working. At the time, I ASSUMED that it was the high speed pole that heated up because on older cars, I have had that happen. My son gets back to school 8hrs away and a two weeks later says the fan is out again. WTF. He checked the fuse and it was good. I ordered the GT500 upgraded fan and headed north to work on his car this last weekend. Before I left, I went to Ford and tried to buy a pigtail plug. After spending an hour at the part dept, they never could find or get the right plug. I had photos and my Ford 2013 electric schematic book there too. I left with a plan and went ahead and got two relays just in case. I would put an inline fuse on the wire this time to save the motor and hopefully figure out why it was burning up.
Upon pulling the fan, the motor had sure enough burned up. When I looked at the plug, it too had heated up again and it was the GROUND wire that had got hot before and this time. I just did not pay attention to this prior, assuming it was one of the hot wires. Now plans changed for me. I modified the GT500 shroud to fit with the supercharger and I soldered a 12 ga ground wire to the ground wire between the fan motor and the plug. I put on a terminal and grounded that directly to the frame right there at the top of the radiator support. Cleaned the plug again, installed everything and it is working like it should. Reading the electric schematic, it says that connection goes to ground on the left fender? I have no idea where but hopefully this will keep the fan from burning out again. I replaced both low and hi speed relays just because even tho they seemed to be ok. Has anyone had any grounding issues or know possibly where that ground could be? It obviously has a loose or bad connection. I considered jumping a ground to the other side of the plug too just in case but did not.

Users who are viewing this thread