Eibach springs

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd like to lower my car by about 1-1 1/2 inch. Is the Eibach Pro-Kit (Part # 3590.140) the recommended set? Any other recommendations?

Does this kit make the car ride any stiffer than stock? Ideally I'm looking to lower the car without sacrificing ride quality. Thanks for your help.
:burnout:

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I'd like to lower my car by about 1-1 1/2 inch. Is the Eibach Pro-Kit (Part # 3590.140) the recommended set? Any other recommendations?

Does this kit make the car ride any stiffer than stock? Ideally I'm looking to lower the car without sacrificing ride quality. Thanks for your help.
:burnout:

It will be stiffer with pretty much and spring set you buy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks sbc.cobra. That's exactly what I am looking for. My next stop will be the Steeda website.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
You will sacrifice ride quality no matter what springs.

Go with coilovers. If I had it to do again (and I will) that's what I'd do.

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
You will sacrifice ride quality no matter what springs.

Go with coilovers. If I had it to do again (and I will) that's what I'd do.

i agree...if you have the money, go w/ the MM coil overs (front and rear), but i got a set of Steeda springs for really cheap ($75)...buddy of mine had them on his car for about 2 months and then went w/ the MM coil overs....i couldn't pass that deal up ($75 for 4 springs).

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
According to the Steeda website their Sport Spring set "maintains good ride quality". Of course that's a subjective statement. LOL! I had Eibach Sport springs on my Callaway Camaro and didn't notice much of a difference in ride quality. It was a hair stiffer. Progressive springs really should do the trick. Coil-overs are great but their price is way high.

Sbc.cobra, can you give me the stock number of the set you ordered? Is it the Sport Spring set? None of their sets indicate they are progressive so I am guessing it is the Sport set.

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
i don't have the # of the springs b/c i bought them from my buddy, but yes, they are the Sport Spring set. hope this helps.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
According to the Steeda website their Sport Spring set "maintains good ride quality". Of course that's a subjective statement. LOL! I had Eibach Sport springs on my Callaway Camaro and didn't notice much of a difference in ride quality. It was a hair stiffer. Progressive springs really should do the trick. Coil-overs are great but their price is way high.

Sbc.cobra, can you give me the stock number of the set you ordered? Is it the Sport Spring set? None of their sets indicate they are progressive so I am guessing it is the Sport set.

I had the Steeda Cobra Sport springs and the Cobra "R" springs on my car before I switched to coil-overs. The Sport Springs are progressive and rated at 550~650lbs while dropping your car 1.25" in the front and 1" in the rear on average. They ride very well and will only be a little stiffer than stock when pushed. They allow you to keep your stock struts and shocks. I would also install a set of MM caster/camber plates in the front.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
If you notice by my sig I have the Eibach Pro Kit. They are a progressive spring. I'm telling you, the ride is harsher.

Do yourself a favor and get the coilovers. The difference will only be like $250.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sly, I thought the coil overs were a lot more expensive. Any recommendations?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hmmm. I just found a new reviews on coil overs and generally the comments all say the same thing. I think I will stick to the Eibach Pro Kit. Here's a comment I found that I'll pass along for those considering coil overs. Sounds like the bottom line is that any lowering mechanism is going to affect ride quality to some extent. I don't see now how coil overs are going to be that much better (at a 1 1/3" lowered height) than lowering springs.

I have these paired with Koni Sports, and after having had these on my car for about 2 weeks, I've come to realize that although the ride is good (slightly stiffer than stock), no one is ever going to want to buy a car that makes the noise these coil-overs are making on my car! It is completely unacceptable. Because the top of the Eibach spring rides on a bearing and the bottom is not physically affixed to the adjustable perch, the spring is free to rotate about the front strut assembly. As it does this, the lip of the spring catches and loads pressure into the spring until it breaks loose to spin causing an excessive and embarassing "plong" noise that is audible outside the car. Not only is there a noise, but also the pressure in the spring on one side or another will force the car to pull strongly to the opposite side, making cornerning a difficult, if not scary proposition. If the pressure is released in the middle of the corner with the "plong" sound, I'll find I'm overcorrecting so much that it can be very dangerous, and I'll have to correct evasively. Unless it's absolutely necessary to be able to adjust your ride height frequently, I'd recommend a straight set of lowering springs of a good quality such as H&R's, Eibach's, or Tein's.

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
ask Bingo13...he has changed his suspension 3 times....he can tell you the pros and cons of each of them :)

i'm glad he did though, b/c he's selling me the Steedas!!!!!

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
hahahaha....i have been waiting for him to get his rear coil-overs on...then i'm purchasing them from him. i intend to have them put on w/ in a month or so. he told me he really liked the springs, but he's gonna start doing track type racing and he needed the coil-overs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sbc.cobra, that was one of the comments I found as well on this review site. If you're going racing go with the coil-overs. If you just want to lower your car for the street go with lowering springs.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I was remembering the numbers slightly different, but I just called Maximum Motorsports and the numbers below are what they told me.

The front coilover kit is $369
The rear coilover kit is $429 if you use your own rear Billsteins ( you can buy another set for $107.95 per shock from MM if you prefer).

The install cost me about $500 for front and rear. The Eibachs cost about $250 if I remember correctly.

If you do the install yourself you will pay almost what I did for the full deal.

The install will probably cost about the same if you have it done.

So you can get the whole thing plus (about $500) for the install at a shop for just about $500 more than I paid for the Eibachs + install.

I'm going to end up doing this, so now the $500 I paid for install plus the $250 for springs was a waste.

I really recommend you wait until you can do coilovers if you are trying to maintain ride quality. I wanted a lower ride, and kept thinking that it wouldn't be any different harshness than stock. It is. I really want to go to coilovers because it's my daily driver.

It is more money, but from everything I know now about coilovers it will provied the results I was actually after. It sounds like the results you are after as well.

There is nothing wrong with the Eibach springs per se, just my expectations were different, and it sounds like yours are as well.

Don't rush into this one. That's my advice from one owner to another.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I definitely wouldn't base anything on import coilovers. I have serious doubts that the Max Motorsports kit is anything like that.

I have never heard of any noise with coilovers.

There are guys on this board who have the kit. I'd ask them straight up about their impressions.

Toofast4u
bborder

and there are others.

Read some of their posts, and get a feel for our specific application.

Check this out:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36198&highlight=coilovers

Pay close attention to toofast4u

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread