Eibach or H&R's?

97Snake1668

Amazon Racing-None Better
Established Member
I am going to order some springs tomorrow and was wondering if there is anything that people would like to let me know about either one of these sets. I can get the H&R's for 234.00 shipped to my door for the Super Sports or the guy also has killer deals on the Eibach. He actually tried to steer me away from the H&R's because he said that they were just too low. I am looking for that low look and love all the pics of peoples cars on here with them. I had Eibachs on my 97 Cobra and it felt way to harsh. He said that Eibach had come out with a new spring for the 03 Cobras and it was better. Anyone have any insite on these two springs? Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi,
Kris

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Funny you should mention this pair. I'm putting H&R's on the rear and Eibach's on the front. We'll see what happens

Juiced-03

Established Member
Here is mine with H&R springs. I love it!! Ride is harsher than stock though.

de26-002.jpg

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
ive seen H&R's in person...(Ray's...(03CobraRed)).....anyway it looked awesome and not too low at all, gave it a very good stance.....this was at a svt get together, so we were able to compare it to 2 other cars parked right next to it, definitely better.....donno anything about Eibach's....im sure just as good.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I am having the Eibach's installed this week by Amazon Racing. I think that most people with the H&Rs say that the front sits too low, which is probably why 03snake is putting the Eibachs on the front. It may have something to do with the fact that the 03 is a lot more nose heavy than previous Cobras because we have an iron block instead of aluminum. As soon as I get my car back, I'll take some pictures and you can compare. I may wait a week or two thoug because I'd rather take pictures once they've settled.

03'Darin

Established Member
I just installed my Eibachs on Christmas day and checked measurements for drop today. It dropped the front end 1" and only dropped the rear 1/2". I was trying to get AWAY from the "raked" or "jacked up" and it only got worse. I have read several posts where people said the Eibach's settle in the first couple of weeks........only time will tell. Two weeks....right....:-D I sure hope the rear drops more than it is right now otherwise I'll cut them. I sure as hell hope they "settle" because it is a PITA to take them out.:bash:

Bryan I think the stance of your car looks awesome!

Darin

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Ordered H&R's today, I'll post pics after install...

97Snake1668

Amazon Racing-None Better
Established Member
Juiced-03,
I see you say that the ride is harsher then stock. How much? Does it about bounce you out of the car? That is what the eibachs did on my 97. You car looks awesome. Just from seeing that I am pretty much set on the H&R's. Those are the super sports right? Thanks.

Kris

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
Originally posted by 03'Darin

It dropped the front end 1" and only dropped the rear 1/2".

Darin

Did you tighten the control arm pivot bolts when the car was at ride height (on the ground) ??? If not, there is preload on the bushings that keep it from coming down to the proper height.
Not flaming...this is just a common mistake when working on suspension 'cuz it's easier to tighten all the bolts while the car is in the air. :beer:

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by loose nut
Did you tighten the control arm pivot bolts when the car was at ride height (on the ground) ??? If not, there is preload on the bushings that keep it from coming down to the proper height.
Not flaming...this is just a common mistake when working on suspension 'cuz it's easier to tighten all the bolts while the car is in the air. :beer:

No. I had the car on jack stands and after lowering the rear of the IRS to get the springs out/in I just jacked up the IRS until the holes lined up. I ran across a post a day or two ago that mentioned this same thing but have not had time to loosen and re-tighten the IRS. I shure hope this makes a difference......but really don't think it's going to give the 3/4"-1" drop still needed to make the car sit the way I am looking for. I also tightened the IRS the same way after installing the MM bushings a year ago.

Darin

Juiced-03

Established Member
Thanks for all the compliments guys! I'll get more pics up later when my car is a little cleaner. I'll also try to figure out to make the pics smaller lol!! But the ride isn't teeth chattering harsh, but you can definitely feel the road and speed bumps now compared to the stock springs. But handling, nose dive, and looks are improved 100%!!! It is a decent tradeoff to me. My car is a daily driver and if it was too harsh I would either go back to stock springs or buy a daily driver. It hasnt come to that point so it should be liveable. The Eibach Sportline kit on my 95GT was MUCH harsher though I must say. I have switched to H&R when I bought my 2001 Cobra Vert and now on my 03. I would definitely buy then again! It's hard to find the right stance for these cars and I think only it only comes from H&R springs. Just be sure to get a GOOD alignment by a shop you trust!!! I probably should have got caster camber plates also. Good luck and I am here if you have any other questions!

Last edited:

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Guys,

Which H&Rs are you all going with? I lost when it comes to springs. Juiced, are the weight ratings of your springs the same as stock (just different height)?

I am going with a Cobra R wing on my car, and was wondering if I should go with a stronger springs in the rear to compensate for downforce...but I want to drop it a half inch to inch or so too.

Any Ideas?

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraCCC
ive seen H&R's in person...(Ray's...(03CobraRed)).....anyway it looked awesome and not too low at all, gave it a very good stance.....this was at a svt get together, so we were able to compare it to 2 other cars parked right next to it, definitely better.....donno anything about Eibach's....im sure just as good.

Ray has the steeda front springs and H&R rear springs. This is the best set up hands down. I have the steeda and I am just waiting for monday to come around before the H&R rears are here then they are going in asap. The car sits perfect. With H&R all the way around, the front sits WAY too low and with steeda all the way around, the rear sits a little up. Eibach looks ok but I would do a search for 03CobraRed and see Rays car:beer:

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by 03'Darin
I just installed my Eibachs on Christmas day and checked measurements for drop today. It dropped the front end 1" and only dropped the rear 1/2". I was trying to get AWAY from the "raked" or "jacked up" and it only got worse. I have read several posts where people said the Eibach's settle in the first couple of weeks........only time will tell. Two weeks....right....:-D I sure hope the rear drops more than it is right now otherwise I'll cut them. I sure as hell hope they "settle" because it is a PITA to take them out.:bash:

Bryan I think the stance of your car looks awesome!

Darin

The Eibachs won't settle. I've had mine for over two months and they are exactly the same height today as when I installed them. They are too high in the rear. I've seriously considered pulling them and lopping off maybe 3/8's of a coil but I realy don't have the time.

A local dealer has a silver 04 and I stopped in and looked at it. Mine was noticeably lower in the front but the rear was about 1/2 inch higher on the 04. I have BFG 315's on the rear and they protrude out to the edge of the fender so the 4X4 look is not so bad. But on the 04 it looked pretty bad. If Ford would just put a good set of springs on the Cobra it would look better and greatly improve the handling.

On the control are pivot bolts, I really don't know of anybody that drops the control arm to install springs. There is no need for that. That was just Eibach's excuse to get someone off their back.

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
The Eibachs won't settle. I've had mine for over two months and they are exactly the same height today as when I installed them. They are too high in the rear. I've seriously considered pulling them and lopping off maybe 3/8's of a coil but I realy don't have the time.

A local dealer has a silver 04 and I stopped in and looked at it. Mine was noticeably lower in the front but the rear was about 1/2 inch higher on the 04. I have BFG 315's on the rear and they protrude out to the edge of the fender so the 4X4 look is not so bad. But on the 04 it looked pretty bad. If Ford would just put a good set of springs on the Cobra it would look better and greatly improve the handling.

On the control are pivot bolts, I really don't know of anybody that drops the control arm to install springs. There is no need for that. That was just Eibach's excuse to get someone off their back.

Well I took the time yesterday and loosened the rear IRS bolts to see if there was any movement. Which there wasn't. I didn't expect that to make a difference because the slots for the IRS mounting bolts go front to rear not up and down. I tried that because I was hoping there was some way to avoid removing the rear springs and cutting them down.

The picture that saadcobra posted with the Eibach pro's looks good but that car looks like it is running 18's.

I am also running 17X10.5's with 315's on the rear. I am not at all happy with the ride height in the rear from the Eibachs. It really pisses me off when a company is to lazy or just doesn't want to take the time to re-engineer a new design when a car changes. Here's the perfect example........it's much cheaper to just change the application book to include the 03's even though the weight of the car has changed cuasing the springs to give totally different results than advertised. :bash: :bash: :bash:

Darin

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I have Eibachs and they are fine :shrug: I have heard of a few people complaining about the rear ride hight though so I don't know what the problem is? The ride is almost like stock. The eibachs do not make it harsher at all. I was very happy.

davidmax

Established Member
Take the advice of your vendor I still kept the Eibachs on the front along with Konis.In the rear I run a custom spring and Hal Qa1 coil over for bite with solid rear and 4:10 gears.Its super fast and may have blown a head gasket last night as my in line water pump failed and I over heated ,back to the shop for cylinder leak down and compression test,and go from there,David Smilovic

Users who are viewing this thread