Egr monitor won’t run for state test?!?!? Photos included

kreymis

Established Member
Let's back up.

In post #10 you stated you believe the rear 02s were on. That's your cat monitoring.

Now you're saying the cat monitor won't show ready.

That tells me your rear 02s are off. Your cat monitor will never set with them on.

Are you running an off road H or X pipe by chance?

If you are then the tuner most likely turned the rear 02s off.

I have been told by SCT this can also effect the EGR monitor as well. From what I remember they said the cat monitor must set before the EGR will be tested.

That could be wrong but that's what I remember from dealing with my issue ages ago.

Also please use the quote button in the bottom right of each post so we know who you're talking/responding to. It makes it easier for us to help you.

The car has bassani x pipe w/ cats. I think the rear O2’s are on because when I cleared with scan tool the monitors reset then after driving the o2’s readied up making me think they are still functional.
From what I read it looks as if the cat monitor won’t run until egr runs. It’s very frustrating and I’ve driven this thing hundreds of miles and still no change.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

dan1982

Established Member
Yes, he said he didn’t touch that side of the tune. Something tells me there’s a vacuum line improperly routed or something like that. Hopefully the photos show it and I can correct it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
who is the tuner?

Last edited:

kreymis

Established Member
Did the tuner request that you bring it in? Who did the vacuum line routing?

Not yet. It was tuned two years ago and passed the first year after. Now I’m having this issue. He’s about 2 hours away so I was hoping to resolve it. I may have to bring it back and leave it with him for awhile. It’s so close to passing though. I’m allowed 1 monitor not ready and currently have 2 not ready.

dan1982

Established Member
He did contact his tuner. How about you read everything before responding especially since you have zero technical advice to give.
Well.. the the tuner should WANT to sort out this mess and press for the owner to get it to him. It looks like a stick or stripped bolt is blocking a vacuum line. and another line has what looks like a ratchet extension blocking it. Nothing is securing these blockages.... they are just JAMMED in there. Someone needs to put that thing RIGHT and do a clean/professional job and find a permanent solution and secure the necessary blockages at a minimum, even if thats NOT the issue right now. Its deeply concerning. Maybe the tuner never opened the hood and saw any of this tho...... must be? right? RIGHT!

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the fact that its showing not ready does confirm they aren't turned off as far as I know.

The aftermarket MAF thing is interesting, might be worth a try at this point if he can send you over a tune that'll let you limp around.

the plugged vacuum lines are janky but if it's just the boost bypass solenoid it shouldn't be causing a problem (outside of my OCD but that's another story)

dan1982

Established Member
the fact that its showing not ready does confirm they aren't turned off as far as I know.

The aftermarket MAF thing is interesting, might be worth a try at this point if he can send you over a tune that'll let you limp around.

the plugged vacuum lines are janky but if it's just the boost bypass solenoid it shouldn't be causing a problem (outside of my OCD but that's another story)
I dont think its OCD at all. Its a nice car/ nice build/ good parts. It shouldnt be like that, nothing secures that stick jammed in there... its deeply concerning it was left like that. It looks like something you would see at the races with a guy tryng to just make the next round without any parts/solutions readily available.

kreymis

Established Member
I know I definitely want to get that engine bay cleaned up. Back in the fall when I first started dealing with this issue I was also about to get married and time was not available. My main goal is to get the emissions to pass and replace my old dried out R888’s as well haha. Then I can focus on that rigged up vacuum mess I have going on.

dan1982

Established Member
I know I definitely want to get that engine bay cleaned up. Back in the fall when I first started dealing with this issue I was also about to get married and time was not available. My main goal is to get the emissions to pass and replace my old dried out R888’s as well haha. Then I can focus on that rigged up vacuum mess I have going on.

Get it cleaned up soon.. if that stick comes out of that vacuum line.. it may go lean while in boost. that wouldnt be good. a good/ boost friendly airfuel ratio is important. A boosted motor is MUCH more sensitive to that shyt than a naturally aspirated motor.,

01yellercobra

Established Member
I can't remember if it's EGR, then catalyst or catalyst then EGR. But either way one won't set without the other setting first.

Talk to your tuner and ask him to check the Barometric Learning I think it is. If he uses SCT it defaults to an off state when the first value file is loaded. I don't remember why SCT does it that way, but it's one of those things that was done years ago and they never changed it. I had to set mine back to stock settings. I think that's what affects things not being able to be set with an aftermarket MAF. FWIW, I was able to set all monitors with the Whipple and BA2600 in place when I still had everything connected.

Things have changed the last few years. States are getting more strict thanks to the EPA. What passed a couple years ago isn't going to pass going forward.

kreymis

Established Member
Ok so found and installed stock MAF and took it for a ride. EGR monitor still doesn’t run.

kreymis

Established Member
No, not the stock tune. Will it even run if I load stock tune given the bigger injectors?

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Differential Pressure Feedback EGR System

The Differential Pressure Feedback EGR system consists of a differential pressure feedback EGR sensor, EGR vacuum regulator solenoid, EGR valve, orifice tube assembly, powertrain control module (PCM) and connecting wires and vacuum hoses. Operation of the system is as follows:

1. Signals from the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor, intake air temperature (IAT) sensor, throttle position (TP) sensor, mass air flow (MAF) sensor and crankshaft position (CKP) sensor provide information on engine operating conditions to the PCM. The engine must be warm, stable and running at a moderate load and rpm before the EGR system is activated. The PCM deactivates EGR during idle, extended wide open throttle or whenever a failure is detected in an ***EGR component or ***EGR required input.
  2. The PCM calculates the desired amount of EGR flow for a given engine condition. It then determines the desired pressure drop across the metering orifice required to achieve that flow and outputs the corresponding signal to the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid.
  3. The EGR vacuum regulator solenoid receives a variable duty cycle signal (0 to 100%). The higher the duty cycle the more vacuum the solenoid diverts to the EGR valve.
  4. The increase in vacuum acting on the EGR valve diaphragm overcomes the valve spring and begins to lift the EGR valve pintle off its seat, causing exhaust gas to flow into the intake manifold.
  5. Exhaust gas flowing through the EGR valve must first pass through the EGR metering orifice. With one side of the orifice exposed to exhaust backpressure and the other to the intake manifold, a pressure drop is created across the orifice whenever there is EGR flow. When the EGR valve closes, there is no longer flow across the metering orifice and pressure on both sides of the orifice is the same. The PCM constantly targets a desired pressure drop across the metering orifice to achieve the desired EGR flow.
  6. The differential pressure feedback EGR sensor measures the actual pressure drop across the metering orifice and relays a proportional voltage signal (0 to 5 volts) to the PCM. The PCM uses this feedback signal to correct for any errors in achieving the desired EGR flow.

imagen2.dll

Last edited:

kreymis

Established Member
Can your tuner turn off the EGR? I have my EGR and rear O2’s off and I still pass inspection (just passed it last Saturday). I’m in NY too.

Is your tuner in New York? My tuner is in CT. I was hoping to solve the issue before heading back but I might have to.

Users who are viewing this thread