EGR delete and Tune?

castellscl

Established Member
I want to do the EGR delete, and want to know if I can shut it off in the tune without going to the dyno tuner?

I've got and SCT Xcal II, could I do this at home?

flsvt

pullin away
Established Member
i know if you do the egr delete you have to send your tune to diablo to get the egr completly out of the tune.i was also told if you leave the electrical connectors still plugged in to the sensors and you only remove the vacuum lines and the egr you will not get a cel light on.

castellscl

Established Member
Dang, that's what I was afraid of. I'm in NC now, but my tuner is in Cali. Still have the handheld, but I guess it does me no good, I can't send a copy of the tune from the tuner to a locale tuner. I guess it will give me even more of and excuse to get a new dyno tune over here on the east coast.

00 white lightn

Established Member
egr

egr delete increases combustion chamber temperature which causes detonation right? so why do it?

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
egr delete increases combustion chamber temperature which causes detonation right? so why do it?

Proof please.
otherwise explain how injecting hot exhaust gasses directly from your header into your intake, lowers your intake temps please.

without the EGR youll see slightly lower intake temps

flsvt

pullin away
Established Member
is there some sort of issue you are having or you just feel like removing the egr?

Z7What

Powered By Eaton
Established Member
It was cheaper for me to just delete it than buy all the EGR crap for the Lightning to put on my motor so i just desided to delete it.

I dont have to worry about inspections so that works even better, it also makes changing plugs a little easier! So it was win win for me.

Wayne

flsvt

pullin away
Established Member
i could see your point in that. but how hot do you think the exhaust gases are coming from the egr tube.what annoyes me is if im crusning in od i get this bucking feeling and if i disconnect the egr,the feeling goes away.so im kinda undecided weither to do it or not aswell. sorry for the hijack.

Robert Francis

Established Member
There's probably a hundred or more guys that have deleted the EGR system on their Lightnings over the years and have not reporting any problems. Some report getting a CEL until they have the EGR system turned off in their tune - and some say they didn't get it. I know that many "tunes" done on a dyno when they did it - but disabled the EGR system and "did not" change anything in their tune to accomodate it.

Keep in mind that when properly operating, the EGR system "does not" function under WOT, so generally speaking if you didn't have any detonation problems before, under WOT conditions, you shouldn't have any upon disabling the EGR system.

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
Bringing back an old thread...

So has anyone found out any info on this potential "detonation problem" since then?

Robert Francis

Established Member
I've been running with no EGR system for about 5 years on my 01L with no problems. However, when I deleted mine I also had headers installed and had a dyno tune so I couldn't say for sure if there is any downside to just deleting the egr system. But I think if you do a "search" on here, or on the NLOC site, I don't think you'll find anyone who reported any detonation problems after doing it.

However usually when guys do this change, they've also done several other mod's to their engine before this, and have had several tunes done or chips installed, so probably not many have done this to a strictly stock engine and ran it hard to see if any detonation occurs on a stock engine that might be attributed to it.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
guys, the EGR delete is a COMPLETELY COSMETIC mod, it has no performance gains over removing it, it does NOT lower temps, it is only an emission thing.

Users who are viewing this thread