Effects of adding a front swaybar only to my 99 Cobra?

omj

Established Member
I currently have a lower 99 Cobra with stock front and rear swaybars (IRS) and 275/40/17s on all 4 corners. I parted out a car recently and have a 35mm Eibach swaybar. What will happen if I put the front bar only on my car? Will it cause it to understeer? It seems to corner pretty neutrally right now with the stock bars so I was concerned that a 20% increase in thickness might cause me to become tail happy.

01yellercobra

Established Member
No clue about what the sway bar will do. It's too bad you're not local though. I have a rear Eibach sway bar that would probably work well.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Understeer is pushing the front tires through a corner. Oversteer is a loose rear that will step out on you.

With a stock rear seat bar, and only an upgraded front, you will normally find understeer as you plow through turns.

I prefer a bit of oversteer. It's faster through the corners, and easier to control if it isn't extreme.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

shurur

Established Member
upload_2018-6-15_15-9-59.png

I think I got this table from the TAZ site..or JRGoffin site..
Tech Docs
Suspension

A stiffer rear sway will get you more oversteer....it helps plant the ass end (tires) on a turn and keep it level.
It also helps when you have no CO springs and don't want to go stiffer on the springs for a daily driver......
and also helps a bit with the turn push of larger rear tires to front ratio..Staggered wheels.

It holds the rear level...that's why the eibach rear swaybay is so desirable. ..some say you don't need it for a daily..but..that is up to the owner of ther car.

CO or race springs are you first thing to do here.

The stiffer front sway bar is going to hurt you with more understeer.
The OEM one is considered fine by most new edge cobra mustang folks

Last edited:

FIREBALL

Established Member
Almost every one recommends changing the rear bar only. Although I went with the Eibach rear bar and it doesnt seem to make much difference with the rear roll. One thing that bugs me about the Eibach is that you can only use the first adjustment hole (softer setting) cant use the second hole because the link hits on the axle. I think Eibach is a hollow bar and isnt much stiffer than the factory bar. Eibach seems to be the only ones that make a rear bar for the I.R.S. Wish there was another one out there that is stiffer.

Daryl Mozart

Established Member
Dude I'll tell you this, when I first had my Cobra with stock sway bars, I would corner canyon roads at 45 MPH if my life depended on it at the very edge of the tire, after I added a front sway bar (not sure how big, but much bigger than stock), my car completely transformed. Cornered incredibly flat, comfortable 55 mph without even pushing it. Much less oversteer.

Users who are viewing this thread