Eff Carmax and their extended warranty...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Just needed to vent a little bit. So my GT500 last weekend developed a bad smell inside the car. Being an automotive technician i instantly knew what the odor was: HVAC compressor oil. Never knew the Mustang to have HVAC issues but its a very distinct odor.

I have the Carmax Extended warranty with $50 deductible, good at any repair facility with certified technicians. I take it to my local Ford dealer to get checked out because Im lazy, i hate interior and dash work and i paid for that ****ing warranty, so i want to use it. Their techs identifiy it as HVAC compressor oil too and formalize the diagnosis as a bad evaporator.

The evaporator comes from the factory as a one piece blower box evap case unit. According to Whitebear Lake Fords website there is no servicable evap or heater core; its all one assembly. There are no other parts in the interior of the car that is connected to the AC compressor capable of failing and causing the strong odor.

My service advisor calls me and says the Evaporator Core is a covered component, but its not covered if its corrosion induced... Carmax says i need to authorize a teardown of the dash and complete removal of the box to verify its not a failure due to corrosion. Otherwise they wont authorize repairs. 700 bucks for Ford to pull out the one peice box. If its something Carmax deems coverable, they will cover the cost of the entire repair. If they decide it is NOT a covered failure (their judgement) Then im stuck with a torn down car thats undriveable and stuck on the Ford tech's rack.

I paid almost $1500 for this here extended warranty to cover this shit minus deductible and now they want to put me in a position where they can **** me if they decide not to cover it????? I called Carmax Warranty tocverify and they wont even entertain the idea without the unit out of the car.

As a technician, i diagnose and repair problems. I put together estimates in the thousands of dollars all the time and i dont even blink. I have been on the recieving end of people using this Carmax extended warranty and its always covered the issues for our guests, and at our Customer Pay labor time too (good for me). And the one time in almost 2 years of owning this car i try and get my car covered under this warranty and they tell me to bend over and hope they dont leave me screwed?

Its on top of the fact that they sold me my car with a major issue (crank balancer bolt washer missing) under the guise of it passing 161 points of inspection. It caused a random multiple misfire that was very transient. Hard to diagnose without a Ford diagnostic tool. Ford tech that fixed my car said he plugged in their tool and watched it idle with the misfire counts going through the roof. Missing washer caused the crank trigger reluctor to send false data to the ECU which it was translating into misfire events.

My car was down for 2 out of the first 4 months i owned it with Ford trying to diagnose the issue. Ford stepped up, fixed the car 100% warranty and offered me a buy back on it. I declined as i knew the car was solid after it was diagnosed and repaired. Ford made me into a loyal customer after taking care of me when carmax dropped the ball. Carmax quality? 161point inspection? The crankshaft was a listed item that they said was checked and clearly wasnt. Pffft an absolute JOKE.

Not happy at all.... beware of these assclowns. I love my car, but i really REALLY wish I had never bought my car from them.

oldmodman

Established Member
All having a warranty does is give you a legal right to sue over uncovered repairs. Unless part of the warranty is that you agreed to binding arbitration.
Then you can't even sue.
Do they want to personally examine the part or will they accept the service writers statement. Is the tear down covered as part of the repair if the failure is an actual fault and not a corrosion problem?
Talk to you service guy and make sure in advance that it will not be a corrosion problem.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I would also , hand the service writer a little perk, and make clear , the part did not fail from corrosion.
A 6 pack goes a long way at times .
Green also works around here .

I used to leave a bottle of Titos for the tech and service writer in my trunk and would occasionally take both my service writer and tech to lunch. A little goes a long way, got so much work done on my 03 cobra that would not have been authorized at a lot of other dealers. You can just tell with some service depts, the fellas that are cool and then the hard packers that will try and push your shit in for a drop in air filter. Don't waste your efforts/time with the latter.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
This is normal for all aftermarket warranties. Yes Carmax is by far the best 3rd party warranty, yes you have to auth teardown and show the inspector the failed component. The customer is always responsible for the teardown. As far as corrosion goes you work for a dealer you know warranty only covers "defects", corrosion would not be a defect. all that said do you really think the evap is leaking from corrosion?

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I don't get your gripe, you haven't been denied yet. As someone above mentioned, it's time to butter up the techs and service writers if needed lol.

mikes35

Established Member
How long have you had the warranty? Can you get a prorated refund? Maybe you could dig into the box and check and see if it's corroded prior to letting the dealer do it then that way you know before you're stuck paying the dealer labor fee.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
As a service advisor. See if your advisor can help you out. I would easily lie to the warranty company and say it wasn't corrosion.

CV355

_
Established Member
Cancel the warranty and get a pro-rated refund if they deny you the repair.

I did that twice last year. I had a full coverage warranty on my bike, got a nail in my tire, and it wasn't covered under "flat tire coverage" because it didn't cause me to drop the bike. WTF.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Carmax warranty is actually handled by 2 seperate 3rd party companies, one of which is great to deal with and the other is a pain. I had to deal with the pain one on tuesday, wanted to send an inspector out to verify our recommendations, which is fine, but they ended up denying a leaking power steering pump and a leaking timing belt tensioner, because they were "leaking bad enough".

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i know its a pita but if you need to pull the dash out yourself. at least youre able to while most of us would be stuck shelling out $700! im sure the dealership would work with you to make it work.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
i know its a pita but if you need to pull the dash out yourself. at least youre able to while most of us would be stuck shelling out $700! im sure the dealership would work with you to make it work.
That may hurt him. If the dealer found out he removed the dash already it would automatically void warranty. Even if he is a tech.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As a service advisor. See if your advisor can help you out. I would easily lie to the warranty company and say it wasn't corrosion.

I was wondering how long it would take someone to suggest fraud. And dealers lie to people...lol

Zemedici

Established Member
Just needed to vent a little bit. So my GT500 last weekend developed a bad smell inside the car. Being an automotive technician i instantly knew what the odor was: HVAC compressor oil. Never knew the Mustang to have HVAC issues but its a very distinct odor.

I have the Carmax Extended warranty with $50 deductible, good at any repair facility with certified technicians. I take it to my local Ford dealer to get checked out because Im lazy, i hate interior and dash work and i paid for that ****ing warranty, so i want to use it. Their techs identifiy it as HVAC compressor oil too and formalize the diagnosis as a bad evaporator.

The evaporator comes from the factory as a one piece blower box evap case unit. According to Whitebear Lake Fords website there is no servicable evap or heater core; its all one assembly. There are no other parts in the interior of the car that is connected to the AC compressor capable of failing and causing the strong odor.

My service advisor calls me and says the Evaporator Core is a covered component, but its not covered if its corrosion induced... Carmax says i need to authorize a teardown of the dash and complete removal of the box to verify its not a failure due to corrosion. Otherwise they wont authorize repairs. 700 bucks for Ford to pull out the one peice box. If its something Carmax deems coverable, they will cover the cost of the entire repair. If they decide it is NOT a covered failure (their judgement) Then im stuck with a torn down car thats undriveable and stuck on the Ford tech's rack.

I paid almost $1500 for this here extended warranty to cover this shit minus deductible and now they want to put me in a position where they can **** me if they decide not to cover it????? I called Carmax Warranty tocverify and they wont even entertain the idea without the unit out of the car.

As a technician, i diagnose and repair problems. I put together estimates in the thousands of dollars all the time and i dont even blink. I have been on the recieving end of people using this Carmax extended warranty and its always covered the issues for our guests, and at our Customer Pay labor time too (good for me). And the one time in almost 2 years of owning this car i try and get my car covered under this warranty and they tell me to bend over and hope they dont leave me screwed?

Its on top of the fact that they sold me my car with a major issue (crank balancer bolt washer missing) under the guise of it passing 161 points of inspection. It caused a random multiple misfire that was very transient. Hard to diagnose without a Ford diagnostic tool. Ford tech that fixed my car said he plugged in their tool and watched it idle with the misfire counts going through the roof. Missing washer caused the crank trigger reluctor to send false data to the ECU which it was translating into misfire events.

My car was down for 2 out of the first 4 months i owned it with Ford trying to diagnose the issue. Ford stepped up, fixed the car 100% warranty and offered me a buy back on it. I declined as i knew the car was solid after it was diagnosed and repaired. Ford made me into a loyal customer after taking care of me when carmax dropped the ball. Carmax quality? 161point inspection? The crankshaft was a listed item that they said was checked and clearly wasnt. Pffft an absolute JOKE.

Not happy at all.... beware of these assclowns. I love my car, but i really REALLY wish I had never bought my car from them.

To be fair bud, every time you've performed work on a customer's car that carmax covered, the service writer had this same talk with the customer (could have)

However, I wrote service in a ford dealership for a few years, as well as did parts, and I never once saw a 'potentially covered' Carmax repair then turn into a denied repair.

You'll be fine, authorize the teardown, and wait a few days on your car. All good. He's just gotta say that to cover his ass. Because obviously if they tear it down and find out your kids put a mouse in there and he chewed some shit up, it wouldnt be covered, know what I'm sayin?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I certainly appreciate all the viewpoints and advice. Seeing as my move date is coming up rather soon and i still have a safety loop and bushing kit to install l, I needed the car back.

Ill be adding some AC dye to the system to make absolute certain that the leak will be easy to spot both when removed and with a boroscope. When i get the car to Phoenix, ill take her to my soon to be sister Ford store for the repair.

Again, thanks for letting me vent and for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread