Educated Minds Assemble

usafimj

Established Member
I'm closing in on the end of my deployment and will be starting my journey to get my M.S. in Project Management around March/April. As of now I have my B.S. in Aeronautics with a minor in Unmanned Systems through Embry-Riddle. I currently work on aircraft fuel systems in the Air Force and have 5yrs left before hitting that 20yr mark. I do enjoy being an aircraft mechanic and will be working towards my A&P License as well but I'm starting to rethink my degree choice and pursue something else. The problem is I don't know what. Like many of you I enjoy working with my hands and knowing how things work. For as long as I can remember I wanted to be an engineer so I attempted an engineering degree but I couldn't handle the math portions. It was never my strong suit but I gave it a whirl. I know many jobs require experience that will probably be one of the downsides once I enter the job market. I have several choices and wondering if any of you guys have any input on the degree and the job applicability once I leave the military.

- Masters of System Engineering
Master of Systems Engineering Degree | Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

- M.S. in Engineering Management
Master of Science Degree in Engineering Management | Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

- MBA in Aviation
Master of Business Administration in Aviation Degree | Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

- M.S. in Aeronautics
http://erau.edu/degrees/master/aeronautics/#ww-campus

Coiled03

Established Member
If you have a degree from Embry-Riddle, you can do just about anything you want in the engineering world. And with your military background, experience won't be much of an issue, IMHO.

With your background, I'd go MS in Aeronautics and try to join Lockheed, General Dynamics, McDonnell-Douglas, etc..

Voltwings

Established Member
May be a bit beneath your education level, but have you ever thought about teaching? STEM is a new up and coming curriculum that my wife teaches, and for all intents and purposes it is "applied sciences and engineering."

My wife currently teaches 2 classes, Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM) where the kids learn to use Inventor, CNC machines, 3D printing software, and the basics of how to apply highschool level maths and sciences to a career in manufacturing. Note, not that these careers are limited to high school levels of education, just that that's all these kids currently have.

The other class she teaches is Intro to Engineering, where the kids basically learn how to apply what they'll be learning in physics, geometry, etc to the real world. It's very hands on, very project based, and she gets to play with cool tools and programs all day. Your experience would probably help make this very relatable to the kids, and that's the biggest struggle; taking what they think is mundane in any other classroom and making it real for them.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Thank you for your service!

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Sometimes you can just tell that certain people will make good choices.

CV355

_
Established Member
For as long as I can remember I wanted to be an engineer so I attempted an engineering degree but I couldn't handle the math portions.

As Coiled03 pointed out, you won't have any problem finding good employment in any of those fields. And as for the math, it really depends on what field you get into. If you're doing high-tech product development, energy systems, aerospace etc, then be prepared for a lot of math. My field is 50/50, really depends on the project. I have an entire folder that's nothing but Excel calculators I've put made ranging from pneumatics/hydraulics, to dynamic timing systems, cams, gear ratios/speeds, moment/loading, reflected inertia, etc. But it usually winds up being "someone already made a calculator/program for this." If you are comfortable isolating variables in known formulas and building formulas based on units, those skills are the most commonly used. Granted, I never got to Masters level math...

The MS in Aeronautics sounds like it'd be the best suit for you, just based on what you've posted here.

Last edited:

Fat Boss

Established Member
I bailed out of the Masters in Systems Engineering half way through due to the math.

If I were you I'd go work for Space X. They're doing the coolest stuff on the planet, and off.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I too was in the AF and got my BS in professional aeronautics. When I did the math, since it had been so long I took 100 and 101, which didn't count and then knocked out the required math through Calculus 1 back to back to back. Taking all the math one after the other really helped me get through it.

Good luck!

usafimj

Established Member
If you have a degree from Embry-Riddle, you can do just about anything you want in the engineering world. And with your military background, experience won't be much of an issue, IMHO.

With your background, I'd go MS in Aeronautics and try to join Lockheed, General Dynamics, McDonnell-Douglas, etc..

This aeronautics degree really isn't part of the engineering world. I'm sure I can be a good candidate when I finally reach that point.

May be a bit beneath your education level, but have you ever thought about teaching? STEM is a new up and coming curriculum that my wife teaches, and for all intents and purposes it is "applied sciences and engineering."

My wife currently teaches 2 classes, Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM) where the kids learn to use Inventor, CNC machines, 3D printing software, and the basics of how to apply highschool level maths and sciences to a career in manufacturing. Note, not that these careers are limited to high school levels of education, just that that's all these kids currently have.

The other class she teaches is Intro to Engineering, where the kids basically learn how to apply what they'll be learning in physics, geometry, etc to the real world. It's very hands on, very project based, and she gets to play with cool tools and programs all day. Your experience would probably help make this very relatable to the kids, and that's the biggest struggle; taking what they think is mundane in any other classroom and making it real for them.

I'll have to look into this. I have thought about teaching before. Thanks

I bailed out of the Masters in Systems Engineering half way through due to the math.

If I were you I'd go work for Space X. They're doing the coolest stuff on the planet, and off.

What school are you going through and what was tough about the math. I'll look into Space X. Thanks.

I too was in the AF and got my BS in professional aeronautics. When I did the math, since it had been so long I took 100 and 101, which didn't count and then knocked out the required math through Calculus 1 back to back to back. Taking all the math one after the other really helped me get through it.

Good luck!

Yea I had to start from the beginning as well when I began taking the math courses but it just didn't stick. Were you able to use the Pro Aero degree to find a job or did you go a different route. What were your troubles with this degree if any.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
This aeronautics degree really isn't part of the engineering world. I'm sure I can be a good candidate when I finally reach that point.

I'll have to look into this. I have thought about teaching before. Thanks

What school are you going through and what was tough about the math. I'll look into Space X. Thanks.

Yea I had to start from the beginning as well when I began taking the math courses but it just didn't stick. Were you able to use the Pro Aero degree to find a job or did you go a different route. What were your troubles with this degree if any.

Was in sales after I got out. Was actually interviewing for an airport manager job when the great recession hit and the city decided not to hire anyone. If I had been willing to relocate, I could have gotten into airport management. If I had been willing to stay at Tinker AFB, could have had a job in base OPs/airfield management when I retired.

Fat Boss

Established Member
The Systems Engineering was through San Jose State University. My problem was the constant calculus needed to predict/describe plasma fields and the various factors that change the field, particularly around the edges inside a process chamber. I suspect the curriculum was highly biased to that since my company was paying for it, and the classes were upstairs in my building.

This year I got a Certificate in Systems Engineering from Cal Tech, again through work. This time it was much more of a traditional deconstruction of requirements, and then a methodical planning method to develop complex systems.

Users who are viewing this thread