Educate me on the TOB

Hunter6

Established Member
I have heard a lot of you are having issues with your TOB. I have noticed a squeak from mine and it will go away if I push in the clutch. I have a couple questions.

1. What does the throw out bearing do?

2. If it squeaks does that mean it's bad?

3. How do I know if it's bad.

4. What is a fire wall/ quadrant adjuster?

5. Does this part help the TOB problem?

Thanks in advance to whoever educates me.:read:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Hope this helps:

1. What does the throw out bearing do?

Allows the clutch to engage and disengage smoothly. There is a clutch fork that pulls the clutch to and from the flywheel. When the clutch is engaged, it allows the clutch (which is essentially a big brake pad) to spin a little before it grabs the flywheel (on the engine side, kinda like a brake rotor) while at the same time allowing it to spin when the fork is engaging/disengaging the clutch.

2. If it squeaks does that mean it's bad?

Yes, and here's why. There is a sleeve that the bearing glides over. If that sleeve is bad, the bearing gets caught up on it, and in some extreme cases the sleeve brakes off and prevents the correct motion of the clutch altogether. Eventually, the bearing can be damaged to the point where it won't allow the clutch to spin well or even at all. In other cases extreme temperatures can cause bearing failure and the grease within the bearing fails. In any of theses cases this problem is sheer trouble.

3. How do I know if it's bad.

Your clutch petal is hard to press/depress. Clutch slippage may occur, or you might have troubles shifting gears. You may feel clutch vibration. The tell tale sign ,however, is the squealing.

4. What is a fire wall/ quadrant adjuster?

The quadrant means just that, a quarter circle. There is a clutch cable adjuster that is pie shaped with teeth on the outer circular path. These teeth are connected to an adjuster finger that locks in one direction. This quadrant is spring loaded which means the cable wants to tighten up when needed. Pull up on the clutch petal and "supposedly" the clutch cable will be tightened (kinda like the old rear drum brake systems with the ratcheting cable adjusters).

5. Does this part help the TOB problem?

This remains to be seen. Based on previous discussion, the answer is "no".

Hope this helps!

:-D

Hunter6

Established Member
I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. So now I guess the excitment will be to see how the dealer reacts to....

"I need my TOB/Tranny replaced, my driveshaft indexed/replaced, and, oh yeah, while you are at it replace the divers side head."

Sweet!:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread