edmunds test drive the new shelby gt500

chuckstang

Established Member
funny how wrong he was when he said that the vette will cost you much more
wtf is he talking about, I could buy an 07 C6 for less then a gt500

jchrystal

Established Member
What kills me is that he says the GT500 will finally challenge BMW M3s. It's funny because the M3 has been around in its current form since 2001. It will hit 60 in 4.7 seconds with (only) 333 HP and a 3.2 liter NA inline-6.

It's also funny because the new M3 comes out next year with a V8 based upon the V10 that powers the new M5. It'll have 400-425 HP, and it will weigh 600lbs less than the GT 500. I'm guessing it'll be right back on top again, and it will stop and corner like a Ferrari.

They should've thrown the 5.0 Cammer in this car and let it walk out the door with 440HP and 3500lbs. That might justify nearly $40K and it sure would've been a step in the right direction. Less weight and less horsepower equals similar performance, but less stress on parts - they might've gotten away with putting an IRS in the car as well.

Last edited:

Dave07997S

Established Member
jchrystal said:
What kills me is that he says the GT500 will finally challenge BMW M3s. It's funny because the M3 has been around in its current form since 2001. It will hit 60 in 4.7 seconds with (only) 333 HP and a 3.2 liter NA inline-6.

It's also funny because the new M3 comes out next year with a V8 based upon the V10 that powers the new M5. It'll have 400-425 HP, and it will weight 600lbs less than the GT 500. I'm guessing it'll be right back on top again, and it will stop and corner like a Ferrari.

Seems to me that Ford hit the sweetspot with the Terminators. They should've thrown the 5.0 Cammer in this car and let it walk out the door with 440HP and 3500lbs. That might justify nearly $40K.

Actually if you look at Car and Driver the first M3 they tested back in 01 hit 0-60 in 4.5 and the 1320 in 13.1. I agree on the new M3...even the older M3 is still the benchmark...a car that was released back in May 01, over 5 years ago. Thats why I switched from Ford to the M3 back in 01...I'm lucky that I am in the position to own such a car. I am itching to get back into a Mustang, particularly the GT500. Its just going to be hard to go from a 3300lb car to a 4K lb car.

Couldn't agree with you more on the cammer motor....I am a normally aspirated man myself...

Like your taste in cars..check my sig.

Dave

Last edited:

gonein60

Banned
Dave01M3 said:
Actually if you look at Car and Driver the first M3 they tested back in 01 hit 0-60 in 4.5 and the 1320 in 13.1. I agree on the new M3...even the older M3 is still the benchmark...a car that was released back in May 01, over 5 years ago. Thats why I switched from Ford to the M3 back in 01...I'm lucky that I am in the position to own such a car. I am itching to get back into a Mustang, particularly the GT500. Its just going to be hard to go from a 3300lb car to a 4K lb car.

Couldn't agree with you more on the cammer motor....I am a normally aspirated man myself...

Like your taste in cars..check my sig.

Dave
Stick with your M3, it's a much better car. :rockon:

BetterthanU

Banned
jchrystal said:
What kills me is that he says the GT500 will finally challenge BMW M3s.

Cobras have been absolutely killing M3s for going on 4 years (look at the 1/4 mile mphs).....and were pretty close to them in 99/2001...Every m3 I've raced in a stock 2003 cobra, even from a dig, fades fast after 1st gear.....at least as far as straight line accel. If you're talking about handling, the new GT500 still isn't close.

Last edited:

Dave07997S

Established Member
BetterthanU said:
Cobras have been absolutely killing M3s for going on 4 years (look at the 1/4 mile mphs).....and were pretty close to them in 99/2001...Every m3 I've raced in a stock 2003 cobra, even from a dig, fades fast after 1st gear.....at least as far as straight line accel. If you're talking about handling, the new GT500 still isn't close.

As a M3 owner I would agree with you..but are you sure you weren't racing a E36M3 not the newer E46 M3. There are people who have run 12.74's in bone stock M3's. They don't do it through hp, but as a balanced package. Lee Rutter pulled those times out of his 02 M3 with a 1.74 60 ft. time on the stock Continental Sport tires :bowdown: Most people would be happy just running low 13's. I have surprised more than 1 03+ Cobra on how well I hung with them. Actually the M3 launches so nice that I have pulled a nose on launch only to be reeled back in as soon as I hit 3rd gear where the Cobra will slightly walk away.

That being said hp isn't everything...the M3 is in such a different league when it comes to everything else. Now before everyone starts bashing me...I defend Cobras on the M3 sites so I really am not biased. With the GT500 you are getting to the mid 40k range which is where the base price of the current E46 M3, and about 10K away from what the new E92 M3 will base at...Ford has to be careful where it is heading with this...I would be more happy with a 400hp NA motor and lighter weight and kept the out the door price at 40K would make more sense to me...but we will see what the market thinks.

Dave

Last edited:

Dave07997S

Established Member
gonein60 said:
Stick with your M3, it's a much better car. :rockon:

Yea, I love my M3. Its just that I had one for over 5 years now, and believe it or not I am really itching for a V8 again. I like Coupe's not dedicated sports cars, so the GT 500 is the only thing that really is rocking my boat right now. I have about 17 mos. left on a lease of my current M3, at the end of my lease the new E92 M3 is going to be out. So I have time...

Dave

BetterthanU

Banned
Dave01M3 said:
As a M3 owner I would agree with you..but are you sure you weren't racing a E36M3 not the newer E46 M3.
I have never even come close to losing to a 2001+ m3, and it makes sense why....m3s are great off the line, for their power (they run exactly the same, or a tenth or so slower than 03 cobras)...but look at the 1/4 mile mph difference 111+ vs. 105......I also have a 320 hp 1994 lt1 vette and I pull on e46 m3s in highway roll-ons often as well, after 60 mph they die....no tq......and I know what I was racing, thank you, I've killed about 10 of them....more e46 m3s here in the east bay than vettes.....but don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of them and I'm interested to see the new egine/body style, hopefully it hasn't been raped by BMW's designers like some of their other new models.

Last edited:

Dave07997S

Established Member
BetterthanU said:
I have never even come close to losing to a 2001+ m3, and it makes sense why....m3s are great off the line, for their power (they run exactly the same, or a tenth or so slower than 03 cobras)...but look at the 1/4 mile mph difference 111+ vs. 105......I also have a 320 hp 1994 lt1 vette and I pull on e46 m3s in highway roll-ons often as well, after 60 mph they die....no tq......and I know what I was racing, thank you. if you don't believe me, find one in NorCal and I'd be glad to show you.

Whats funny is you post the worse trap speed for the M3 while using the best trap speed for the Cobra. Car and Driver did 107mph as did Road and Track...There were some rags that posted 108-109mph for the SVT. Lee Rutter has run 112mph in his M3 with 4.10's D/R's and an AFE..As far as your Lt1 Vette pulling on M3's you drove idiots that didn't know what they were doing...and I'll leave it at that.

Once again though I agree with you...there is no comparison to the 1/4 mile potential of the 03 Cobra to a M3.

Dave

Last edited:

Dave07997S

Established Member
Ryan02Stang said:
M3's sound like farts

I call it the pissed off weed whacker sound...I agree the sound is horrible except inside the car when you hear that motor scream to 8k rpm. My car doesn't sound like this anymore, but stock the way they sound blows..although some owners love that rasp, I personally hate it.

Dave

BetterthanU

Banned
Dave01M3 said:
Whats funny is you post the worse trap speed for the M3 while using the best trap speed for the Cobra. Car and Driver did 107mph as did Road and Track...There were some rags that posted 108-109mph for the SVT. Lee Rutter has run 112mph in his M3 with 4.10's D/R's and an AFE..As far as your Lt1 Vette pulling on M3's you drove idiots that didn't know what they were doing...and I'll leave it at that.

Once again though I agree with you...there is no comparison to the 1/4 mile potential of the 03 Cobra to a M3.

Dave

dude don't give me ricer arguments about modded vs. stock cars, with professional dirvers, on slicks, times from non-motortrend/C&D/R&T mags, etc.... Everyone knows stock m3s trap 105-106 all day long. I'll give you the standard times for the m3 as 105-107, if you'll give the standard times for the cobra as 111-112....which they are.....stock I drove MY car (see: Not having a Evan Smith or some pro drive it) to a 12.7 @ 112. Stop halfway arguing, you're gonna get hurt......a slightly modded c4 like mine will run 106+ in the 1/4 which puts it pretty darn even with an m3, which has less tq, pretty much the same (although peaky) hp, more weight and less aeros....Two of the races were actually set up, with drivers starting in correct gears, shifting well, etc....I'm not saying that my vette will pull every m3 every time, just that it's been done multiple times before, and if my lowly c4 can do it, a 03/04 cobra sure as hell can. I can get my c4 in the 12s, as well...but does that mean it can hang with a traction-less viper? Hell no. I've driven a couple e46 m3s, and although fun, they could be more powerful....there was also a BIG difference in accel between the convert and the coupe. I've raced more than enough cars to know exactly how mine will stack up. If there's no comparison between the speed of the current m3 and 03/04 cobra, I don't see a reason to ask me if I was sure I wasn't racing the visibly different previous m3 model. Done.

Last edited:

Dave07997S

Established Member
BetterthanU said:
dude don't give me ricer arguments about modded vs. stock cars, with professional dirvers, on slicks, times from non-motortrend/C&D/R&T mags, etc.... Everyone knows stock m3s trap 105-106 all day long. I'll give you the standard times for the m3 as 105-107, if you'll give the standard times for the cobra as 111-112....which they are.....stock I drove MY car (see: Not having a Evan Smith or some pro drive it) to a 12.7 @ 112. Stop halfway arguing, you're gonna get hurt......a slightly modded c4 like mine will run 106+ in the 1/4 which puts it pretty darn even with an m3, which has less tq, pretty much the same (although peaky) hp, more weight and less aeros....Two of the races were actually set up, with drivers starting in correct gears, shifting well, etc....I'm not saying that my vette will pull every m3 every time, just that it's been done multiple times before, and if my lowly c4 can do it, a 03/04 cobra sure as hell can. I can get my c4 in the 12s, as well...but does that mean it can hang with a traction-less viper? Hell no. I've driven a couple e46 m3s, and although fun, they could be more powerful....there was also a BIG difference in accel between the convert and the coupe. I've raced more than enough cars to know exactly how mine will stack up. If there's no comparison between the speed of the current m3 and 03/04 cobra, I don't see a reason to ask me if I was sure I wasn't racing the visibly different previous m3 model. Done.

Dude, stop getting your panties in a furl. I'm not trying to piss on your poptart. I just disagree with you. This is an internet site where people share ideas...once again I just disagree with you and we will leave it at that.
You shouldn't take things so personal...I just have had different experiences than you...

Dave

BetterthanU

Banned
You must be having fun experiences in your lil dream world :) Still not really sure what you disargee with me about, but I guess saying that is a nice and easy way of not backing up a statement ;-) I just find that often e46 m3 owners over-rate their car's straightline accel ability, in a ricer like fashion.

just thought I'd give you a thorough response, devoid of name calling and the usual :poke:

Last edited:

jchrystal

Established Member
"dude don't give me ricer arguments..."

"...m3 owners over-rate their car's straightline accel ability, in a ricer like fashion."

"...hopefully it hasn't been raped..."

What happened, buddy? Did you get your clock cleaned by a Supra? :)

Users who are viewing this thread