Edelbrock E- Street Heads

railroad

Established Member
Be advised guys. Edelbrock E-Street heads springs will not handle hyd roller lifters as advertised, bolt on for 289 302 and 351 engines. I have just gotten off the phone with an Edel tech, who told me I could machine out the spring seats, replace the springs and retainers. I told him I could have bought AFR and not had to do any of that. I asked that he take my name and number, which he reluctently did, of which I expect no good results. The ads and instructions do not specify these restrictions on the valve springs, but he insisted that is what Edelbrock meant, when they said bolt on performance. There is a thread with the detail of some of the failures on the Corral web site. I am very disappointed that I will have to spend about $300 more to use the heads with a comp hyd roller cam with .512 lift.

railroad

Established Member
Just got off the phone with Dave from Edelbrock. Dave said the E Street head springs ARE compatable with hyd roller cams. The limitations are the 550 lift and 5500 rpm. The seat pressure is 125, max lift pressure 325 and installed height is 1.75. Apparently these limits have no margin of error. I was surprised and appreciated Edelbrock calling back on the situation, but I have no confidence in the springs and will change them before putting the heads on. Being realistic about this, I doubt there is a street performance engine out there that will not see more than 5500 rpm. These heads are probably best suited for a stock engine replacement in a pickup or stock 5.0 motor. Edelbrock does not have a spring upgrade for this head. This head would definitely be better bought bare.

Last edited:

fivestangs

Established Member
You probably should have done more research before you bought them... Edelbrock.com - Cylinder Heads - Ford - Small Block ...it clearly says:

E-Street
Edelbrock E-Street cylinder heads offer American made quality and affordable performance. They are recommended for entry-level street performance applications operating in the idle-to-5500 rpm range.

...they're cheap for a reason.

railroad

Established Member
You probably should have done more research before you bought them... Edelbrock.com - Cylinder Heads - Ford - Small Block ...it clearly says:

E-Street
Edelbrock E-Street cylinder heads offer American made quality and affordable performance. They are recommended for entry-level street performance applications operating in the idle-to-5500 rpm range.

...they're cheap for a reason.

Yeah, definitely bought too cheap. Who would have thought they would not handle cams within their specs. I was just trying to enlighten any future buyers. Someone always chimes in, you shoulda blah blah blah. Dime a dozen. I have not experienced a problem yet, but with a history on the net, I figured time to talk to Edel. The springs may last for me, not going to do any hard core racing. Just lack of confidence and would rather fix it before it breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread