Ecu swap. Need some help tuners.

low whining

Established Member
Ok so my buddy works at a used car lot and they got a 18k 2004 cobra in. He took it for drive as he does all the safetys and says the traction control is turned off and you can't turn it back on. When he told me this he gave me no other info. So i go and take a look at he car. Its got a slp cat back with stock h pipe, a k&n intake, and aftermarket upper and that its. So i'm thinking when they did all this they got the car tuned and disabled traction control.

So here's where the title comes into play. The dealer wants the car back to stock. aka so traction control works. I have a ecu from my BONE stock 03 out of the car, and a friend who works at ford as a tech. Can they just vin match my ecu to the 04 and vice versa? I would get the pulley in trade for mine and maybe the intake out of this deal as well. thanks for any input!!

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Another pcm will work but will need to be matched into the car by the dealer or it will throw a CEL. Not sure why they couldnt just re-flash the pcm he already has back to stock?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Waste of time and money. You would need the PCM you acquire to be flashed at Ford then as the car wouldn't even start with your keys as the PATS would trip. You're trying to get out of having to pay for a tune, I would look elsewhere to save money.

low whining

Established Member
I have to disable pats anyway as the motor and trans are going into a 68 mustang not an 03. Like stated above i have techs at ford, it would cost me a 6 pack.

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
Waste of time and money. You would need the PCM you acquire to be flashed at Ford then as the car wouldn't even start with your keys as the PATS would trip. You're trying to get out of having to pay for a tune, I would look elsewhere to save money.

Ya I agree with this. Your basically trying to get a free tune but the work and the money that it takes to make the PCM work isnt worth it.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
They wont be able to disable pats on his tune unless its already done without starting over from scratch anyways. Unless his tune has pats disabled + every little thing that you need it to have perfectly for your car, then you will still need to go back to stock, and have a tune done. Your better off getting all the parts from him, having your friends at ford flash his current pcm to stock... and taking the money you saved on the parts he gives you and having a tune done for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread