ECU Chip - Worth it? Other mods?

04MC

Established Member
95 Cobra - Weekend driver with 16k miles. Is it worth doing the ECU? Also do I have to send the ECU to get soldered or ? Who makes chips for our 5.0's? Is it worth doing?

We plan on still keeping the car, so after reading the threads (stickies) I saw that pulley is helpful, x/h pipe, exhaust etc ... whatelse is worth doing on this 5.0? MSD ignition? For now I am not considering a blower, but in the near future I might. I want to get all the bolt ons I can now that will put a :-D on my face ... All input will be appreciated. I don't know anything about 5.0's used to own 04 Cobra last year!

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
for the 93-95 Cobras; I've got a Hypertech plug-in chip that was for my 95 Cobra until I switched to the A9L computer-----if you want the chip you can have it for $100 shipped, just PM me about it. its for a bonestock 94/95 Cobra and enhances the timing/fuel curves.
as for mods; exhaust definitely helps-- shorties with o/r h-pipe and a decent catback system. aluminum driveshaft, aluminum flywheel. JLT cold air kit, decent u/d pulleys, ported heads and especially ported lower intake, B or E303 cam, I've heard Crane makes a good one too for the Cobra motor. MSD systems and longtubes are only really useful on blower cars. electric waterpumps give a small gain but not really worth the money unless the motor is completely rebuilt. 3.73 gears are the best for a stock 5.0

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
unless you plan on going turbo id look into long tubes. my shorties literally gained me 1 or 2 hp and maybe 2 or 3 ft lbd torque if i remember right. the thing that helped the most was my cnl mass air and intake kit and the fpr to bump my fule pressure up.

deff work on suspension and gears too

04MC

Established Member
I did all the suspension already. Springs, shocks, isolators, regular subframe connectors, lower/upper control arms, etc ... As far as the engine goes, the car just has the drop in K&N and everything else is stock. So if I do the basics, like exhaust, x/h pipe and ??? Suggestions? Will your chip work? A9L computer? Did you also get a custom chip after that or it works good already? What mods do you have?

I already bought the catted magnaflow pipe, and I plan on keeping the stock headers for now because of the noise (my father drives the car he's 65 and I am trying to be conservative), so I am really looking for the best basic bolt ons for now, see how the car runs, get him used to the car :burnout: and then maybe plan on doing a blower. :burnout: More input will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

04MC

Established Member
I am trying to make a complete list ... specially now that my contact here said I can order whatever I want and not wait months for it to arrive and clear customs!

My94GT

Established Member
dont go 4.10s, from what ive asked myself and read they arent a very street friendly gear for a 5.0, go with some 3.73 they are (from what im told) a very nice gear on the street and the track.

get a cnl intake kit, i like and pefer the sound of an o\r h pipe as it gains power but isnt as raspy as an x pipe. stick with the stock manifold or go long tubes. get a fpr and get it tuned somewhere. i really dont know much about chips if they are good or not, id recomend speaking to a local tuner that will have hands on time with your car and see what they think

04MC

Established Member
I'll check into the CNL and FPR :) - The problem about tuning is that the car is in Brasil and knowing only chips can be done no reflashes? or programmers I need to see if there is anything compatible with the my ECU here (like piggybacks or anything) ... As far as tuning goes I might buy the chip mentioned here and I am still waiting for Hermann to get in touch with me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread