Economy 6 speed conversion?

rbrown-90

Established Member
Anyone know of an economy 6 speed conversion for a fox? It seems like we could use one out of a 6 speed cobra or something? D&D and all the other companies want way too much for this tranny that is already being used in production cars ! Anyone got any info please advise.

SVT1993

Established Member
rbrown-90 said:
Anyone know of an economy 6 speed conversion for a fox? QUOTE]
To me, there is no economy conversion, just the right conversion. A long time ago(1980), I stuck a big block toploader in a 75 mustang behind a 289. I was never happy with the economical way I modded the car but still drove it for a couple of years with the problem (car came with a clutch cable, toploader was originally built for a bell crank - can you visualize my problems?!?). Finally, I put a 4-speed out of a 1982 GT behind it (that worked off a clutch cable), and it worked ok.

My point is - do it right the first time, even if you spend a little more money, it will be worth it. I would find an application that came with a 6 speed for a Mustang (Cobra) and plan it with all the right parts to make sure it will work before you proceed. A Cobra 6 speed should be a bolt in swap. You might have to rework the driveshaft and trans mount, but it is do-able.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
None of the production 6speeds will just bolt in behind a SBF motor. The Mod motors have a different bellhousing bolt pattern. You will have to get an adapter plate or a modified b/h of some sort. The trans mount/crossmember is also totally different than a fox body. The viper trans has the same issues plus the speedo cable is on the wrong side I believe.

Unless you plan to run really low gears such as 4.56 or lower, the T56 swap is a waste of money and adds even more recipricatiing weight to soak up horsepower.

SVT1993

Established Member
Gear ratios

phorty said:
I have to admit, sometimes it would be nice to have that extra gear when on the freeway.

The 6 speed is just a closer ratio transmission. Fifth gear in the Cobra is .68 while 5th & 6th gear in a six speed is .80 and .62 respectively.

I guess there is some extra RPM's in the six speed, but not much. :pop:

phorty

Established Member
SVT1993 said:
The 6 speed is just a closer ratio transmission. Fifth gear in the Cobra is .68 while 5th & 6th gear in a six speed is .80 and .62 respectively.

I guess there is some extra RPM's in the six speed, but not much. :pop:

I remember 5th being about 0.8xx but I thought the 6th was usually 0.5xx. I may be thinking of some vettes or LT1/LS1 Camaros. Is the 03/04 Cobra trans only 0.62?

phorty

Established Member
I guess I was thinking of the LS1 Camaros. Here is that trans below:

Transmission

Type 6-Speed Manual
Final Drive 3.42:1
1st Gear Ratio 2.66:1
2nd Gear Ratio 1.78:1
3rd Gear Ratio 1.30:1
4th Gear Ratio 1.00:1
5th Gear Ratio 0.74:1
6th Gear Ratio 0.50:1

BGM66

Established Member
Tko500

rbrown-90 said:
Ok souds like a Tremec 500 or 600 is he way to go!
I have a TKO 500 in my 95 GT.. That thing is heavier than the t5 or t45, and it is heck of a lot noisier! It's real firm, but I like it.. Other than the vibration issues i've had with it, i really like it, but the price being at 2k+ w/ everything, i could have gone with a t-56 from DD for a couple extra bucks and a new clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread