ECM Basics

Cobrakit

Established Member
Can anyone recommend a book or soutce that explains how to 2013 coyote ecm (or pcm) works? Search engine not cooperating. Took whipple supercharged mustang to Road race and it had problems. Lost power then engine overheated and went into its safe mode. Found out later gas was down on octane and IC pump stopped working at some point. Ended up blowing out cats as well.

Cobrakit

Established Member
Anybody can point me to a reference for the logic in the ECM/PCM? Really would like to better understand how yhese work in laymans language. Thanks!

MickeyD

Established Member
Lasota Racing has produced a number of books about tuning various generations of Fords including their Coyote Cookbook and they also have books on GM. These books are software specific so if you are using HPT or SCT get the corresponding book. Here is a link to their site, http://www.lasotaracing.com/.

Cobrakit

Established Member
Thanks, wouldbit include sll the logic? Example, will it explain how timing is pulled during knock detection? Our what happens as charged air increases?

MickeyD

Established Member
It has some of that information but I am not certain to what extent you are looking for within the logic. It doesn't have a breakdown of the actual coding with the computer logics If-Then statments that it uses but it does show a good bit of how the systems work including the torque tables and Ti-VCT weighting factors which play a big role in the 2013+ PCM's (More so then the 2011-12 even)

oxfordgt

Established Member
If you have the software to tune with you can just look at the tune and see exactly where and when it pulls timing according to temps and at what rate. No book out there will tell you that.

Cobrakit

Established Member
Thanks, not trying to tune car, just want to know what's happening and why. I have a custom dyno tune and can't get into it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread