Ebay Shackles?

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
I think I'm going to order that first set I posted. They look like the ones you have Tazman but have a grease fitting. I was just looking to see if anyone has heard anything negative about them.

Can you still tow a car on a trailer with the drop shackles in the rear?

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
I think I'm going to order that first set I posted. They look like the ones you have Tazman but have a grease fitting. I was just looking to see if anyone has heard anything negative about them.

Can you still tow a car on a trailer with the drop shackles in the rear?

I see that they have a grease fitting in them. I haven't had any problems with mine since they have been on for over 3 years now.

Oh and you can still tow a car on a trailer. Its not that much of a drop that you'll bottom out on the tires.

Tazman1

Established Member
Its about time you started to mod that thing. I was beginning to wonder. Now that you have broken the seal. Whats next????

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
Still looking around for deals on a tuner/#4 lower. Was going to buy a #4 off of here but I didn't, I'm watching a predator on Ebay right now. We'll see what happens, hehe.

Tazman1

Established Member
I have a predator still in the box. I used it for like 3 months. I'm not sure if it would work on your 03. I would have to check...

Its for a 99-03 model....

Last edited:

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
Quick update, got the shackles in the mail today(fast shipping, especially coming from AZ) They look great and having the grease fitting in them is a plus, based on other shackles I've saw they look just as good or better especially for the price.

Which hole is the 2" drop? Thanks!

Tazman1

Established Member
On those, I would say the very top holes. The holes that are the furthest point away from the bushing and grease fitting.

sb306

Established Member
Thanks mang.:beer:

They didn't come with hardware so I'm guessing just reuse the factory bolts?

Yea. Its pretty simple. The only thing is that to slide the upper bolt out you have to jack up the leaf so the bolt will clear the frame rail. You'll see it when you start. Very quick and easy.

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
Yea. Its pretty simple. The only thing is that to slide the upper bolt out you have to jack up the leaf so the bolt will clear the frame rail. You'll see it when you start. Very quick and easy.

Thanks.

I've read all the how to's I could find and looked at all the pics I could find. My biggest fear right now is concerning the pinion angle and vibrations.

sb306

Established Member
From everything that ive read, a shackle alone wont hurt pinion angle at all. Honestly it was surprisingly easy to do the swap. Dont sweat it man. Just enjoy the results when ur done.

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
Well I got a break from the rain today so I decided to go for it so I could drive it some before going to the track on Saturday. Everything went well besides the fact the bushings on the shackles are a little too wide. Tiny fraction got shaved off on the install.:shrug: Before tightening everything down I rocked the truck up and down about ten times and then tightened the bolts down with the weight on the suspension. I used plenty of grease on the outside of the bushings and I don't hear any squeaks so that's good. I took measurements before/after and it seems to have lowered it about 1.5"(which I read is what would happen on the 03-04) Not a huge difference in the pics but you can tell it in person. I haven't driven it yet to see if I'm going to have any pinion angle issues.:bored:

Before:
dave1uz3.jpg

After:
afterloweringrc4.jpg

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
Just took it down the road, tried many different speeds and didn't hear/feel anything different than before. I especially tried the 30mph range that most seem to say you will feel it. Unless the "vibration" that you get from this is hard to pick up on I think I'm ok. Under accel and coast all feels the same as before, I still want to check the pinion angle so I'll know how to do it.:beer:

I've got pics of the ds/pinion flange before and after and I don't physically see any difference as well. Should I post the underside shots?

Users who are viewing this thread