eBay... bidding on your own auction?

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Just curious... how many of you folks bid on your own auctions to drive up the price using another account or a friends account?

I do it once in a while on certain items that I don't want to give away for cheap! It works in generating some extra bucks as long as you don't over do it and then end up winning it yourself.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by Nuclrslug
I avoid things like that as I like to be able to sleep with myself at night.

It's ILLEGAL!

I have no problem with that. It's all about getting fair market value for a certain item AND avoiding ebays rediculous fee structure, rather than giving it away at a rediculously low price.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
I guess I've just had pretty good luck letting things go straight out.
I did put a car on their once that didn't sell. I was $50 bucks lighter and I wasn't too happy. (I know, I know. Read the fine print).

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
If I ever catch someone bidding up there own item, the legal hurt I'm going to put on them will make them wish they had just given the thing away.

In Ga., I could sue and seek $250,000.00 in punitive damages.

oldmodman

Established Member
If you don't want to sell the item below a certain price, enter that amount as the starting price or list a reserve. By the way my E-bay name is SHILLMEISTER14, but I had to change it. Funny, but nobody wanted to bid on my auctions?

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by mavado007
I never knew you could do that

Yes you can. It's a way to drive up your auction. People do it all the time.

If you don't want to sell the item below a certain price, enter that amount as the starting price or list a reserve. By the way my E-bay name is SHILLMEISTER14, but I had to change it. Funny, but nobody wanted to bid on my auctions?

You could do that. But starting your auction at a higher price or putting in a reserve usually mean more $$$ for the initial listing.

You ever hear of Fraud??? Maybe you should review the definition of the word.

I don't think it's Fraud. Fraud is lying about something, selling something that you don't have, selling something that it's not what you say it to be, etc... This is call "jacking up the price." It's also not illegal if you have your friend bid on your item to do the same thing (as far as I'm concerned).

Don't get me wrong though... I don't do this all the time -- only on high dollar value auctions.

Originally posted by esqeddy
If I ever catch someone bidding up there own item, the legal hurt I'm going to put on them will make them wish they had just given the thing away.

There's not an easy way to tell if someone is doing this. Might as well go play the lottery.

Last edited:

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Originally posted by Forbidden Snake
I don't think it's Fraud. Fraud is lying about something, selling something that you don't have, selling something that it's not what you say it to be, etc... This is call "jacking up the price." It's also not illegal if you have your friend bid on your item to do the same thing (as far as I'm concerned).

Don't get me wrong though... I don't do this all the time -- only on high dollar value auctions.
You don't think it's fraud? Well guess what, buddy? It is fraud. And doing it only for high-dollar items is worse :rollseyes

Plain and simple: you shouldn't be doing it. Put up a reserve if you want to get a certain price. :nonono:

LocoGT

Banned
Originally posted by esqeddy

You need less free time then :rollseyes

falconetti

IDK
Established Member

i really could give a shit if people do this, and im sure the leagal standpoint of a law suit would be time well spent (yeah right) since it obviously really affects people. Seems more like a game, or gamble, start low to attract intrest, then bid up the price, if the interested party is paying attention they will not bid any higher, or i would hope. Never the less it is not fair or nice to do so
i think maybe you shouldnt tell people you do this :shrug: :beer:

LocoGT

Banned
Originally posted by falconetti

i really could give a shit if people do this, and im sure the leagal standpoint of a law suit would be time well spent (yeah right) since it obviously really affects people. Seems more like a game, or gamble, start low to attract intrest, then bid up the price, if the interested party is paying attention they will not bid any higher, or i would hope. Never the less it is not fair or nice to do so
It's all about what people will pay for an item. If a guy bids up his stuff and people still want to pay more than what he bid it up to they can and will. That's their business. If the bidders see whatever he bid it up to as too high then they'll stop bidding.

Go worry about the real criminals, guys.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by NYCStangGT
You don't think it's fraud? Well guess what, buddy? It is fraud. And doing it only for high-dollar items is worse :rollseyes

Plain and simple: you shouldn't be doing it. Put up a reserve if you want to get a certain price. :nonono:

It may very well be, but this is one of those grey things that's hard to prove. How do you know something is fraud when you don't know about it?

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
So, when you win your own item and have to pay the fees are you any farther ahead then you would have been by just starting the price where you wanted it?:bash:

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by falconetti

It don't bother me. I learned this from others. I would guestimate 7 out of 10 eBayers probably do this to circumvent eBay's fee structure and jack up their auction value.

So, when you win your own item and have to pay the fees are you any farther ahead then you would have been by just starting the price where you wanted it?

You're not supposed to be all out crazy. But if you happen to be stupid enough to win your own item, then yes, you take a loss and stick it up your ass. :bash:

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by NYCStangGT

Now why exactly is it fraud again? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread