eBay Alternator - 200amp

tuscani66

Established Member
So, Alternator is out again, no surprise there.

Decided to try out one from eBay, did a search here on his user name and no matches so this may be a go or no go but a review nonetheless. $153 shipped - why not?? The adage you get what you pay for hopefully does not apply, but I'm not buying another $350/400 alternator just to go out in 2 years again!

Stay tuned for pictures as I'm writing this thread at work; ordered it Friday morning and was at my doorstep Monday afternoon, already got brownie points as I'm in Georgia and it came from California.

So here is a little info:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281387342804?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
New High 200 Amp alternator Ford Mustang Cobra w/supercharger 2003 - 2004

Seller information
bnrparts (8536 )
100% Positive feedback

So we'll see... when I get home today I'll open it up and take pictures, remove the old and take more pics, etc etc.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Right on man, lmk how it is. I just had to replace mine about a month ago, I work at Ford so I just did OE replacement since i get my discount. But I also just added a bunch of stereo equipment so I'm sure the system's straining again.

In4results :beer:

I'm out in Dallas, btw.

tuscani66

Established Member
Zem,

I am running dual pumps, full voltage, all that crap - I'm sure I strained mine too. We'll see how it goes.

I'm located in Woodstock, come on up sometime, help me change the Alt too haha, nah.

Will keep all posted, pullied measured, etc. Can't wait to get home from work!

Zemedici

Established Member
Bahahaha come to dallaa! We used my buddies shop, he had it out in 15 minutes!

Hope it's a good unit!

tuscani66

Established Member
15min is pretty good time!!

I'm hopeful that the unit is good, last more than 2 years and its good as gold haha!

*knocks on wood!

Jcobra03

import reaper
Established Member
i have an ebay 160 amp and seems to be a pretty nice piece. Been on the car since march and i beat the crap out of it.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Which previous unit went out in 2 years? A 200a unit may not give you enough amps down low, in fact the tech sheet I've seen on said alts. didn't product max amps until over 6k rpm, whereas a quality unit produces its max at roughly 1k rpm and throughout the rpm band. Good luck though!

tuscani66

Established Member
Which previous unit went out in 2 years? A 200a unit may not give you enough amps down low, in fact the tech sheet I've seen on said alts. didn't product max amps until over 6k rpm, whereas a quality unit produces its max at roughly 1k rpm and throughout the rpm band. Good luck though!

I had a PA Performance one, paid around 400 or so installed, 130A. IIRC, almost all alterntors reach their peak around 6k??

Anyhow, installed this one myself, damn was a pain! Pictures made it look simple and straight forward, and it was straight forward just a pain. Getting the wire unclipped was a pain, had to wedge my 6" extension on the power piece to the right just so I can get a socket on there (sway bar in the way).

20140723_140745_zpsdd6d92a7.jpg

20140723_140819_zps6fe7a940.jpg

20140723_142958_zpsa9334a53.jpg

and on the tool box:
20140723_150445_zps58630c0d.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

tuscani66

Established Member
I used the How To on alternator replacement, great walkthrough and well written... so yeah, straight forward - just a pain!! haha

Fired up first time, full amps, 14.4 and steady. I'm happy, ask me 24 months from now though. haha

tuscani66

Established Member
Thing about working on cars, makes you want to work on all of them when finished... :)
20140723_165837_zps4ce82802.jpg

Tomorrow should be a good day, looking forward to some joy riding!!!

tuscani66

Established Member
Sounds good Zemedici!

I'm taking the Viper to work tomorrow and got volunteered for work Saturday so I'll probably bring the Saleen then... maybe if the weather holds good we can cruise Sunday.

I had my transmission worked on in June twice but I'm not happy with the way it feels now. When working on my alternator yesterday was looking at my clutch fork and it still kinda wiggles and feels the cable is loose, IDK, just feels wrong. I might actually take the Saleen to an transmission shop and see what they think. IDK... I hate paying for transmission work 3 times in 2 months. haha.

Zemedici

Established Member
Sounds good Zemedici!

I'm taking the Viper to work tomorrow and got volunteered for work Saturday so I'll probably bring the Saleen then... maybe if the weather holds good we can cruise Sunday.

I had my transmission worked on in June twice but I'm not happy with the way it feels now. When working on my alternator yesterday was looking at my clutch fork and it still kinda wiggles and feels the cable is loose, IDK, just feels wrong. I might actually take the Saleen to an transmission shop and see what they think. IDK... I hate paying for transmission work 3 times in 2 months. haha.

im down bud.

I'm actually sitting next to my new ford racing cable and quadrant right now for that very reason, the fork was loose due to a stretched cable, it was barely engaging the fork, making it borderline impossible to shift at high RPMS. Hopefully this new adjustable fork alleviates that issue. :beer:

tuscani66

Established Member
When I rebuilt the transmission, American Muscle sent me the wrong fork so I reused my old; I wonder if my fork is to blame, the pivot ball looked fine (no coursing or such so didn't replace it although I do have a new one to use), my cable is less than a year old and I do have an aftermarket quadrant. I might order another cable anyways and fork, I heard someone actually changed their fork without dropping the transmission.

Zemedici

Established Member
I dont think the fork would be the problem, its a sturdy piece of material. Any way you could get under the car and look in the transmission vent to see how the cables lining up? My cable was a good 1/2" longer than it needed to be, so it was hardly moving the shift fork.

LMK if you need any sort of Ford Racing/Steeda/Motorcraft stuff, I do parts. :beer:

Tractionless1

Established Member
I had a PA Performance one, paid around 400 or so installed, 130A.

IIRC, almost all alterntors reach their peak around 6k??

Anyhow, installed this one myself, damn was a pain!

Heard that about PA.

No, mine is within 5a of peak at idle and peak at 1k rpm. Pretty useless if all it does is ramp up throughout the RPM range and why the Ebay units are so cheap.

Try mine! I have to remove my IC fluid res. at the OE battery location which means draining it and repriming the pump. It's easier with a battery relocation and aftermarket K member.

tuscani66

Established Member
I do need a new inspection cover plate. :)

I might need a new cable, I dont know, there just seems to be a lot of play despite my adjustable firewall piece and cable being less than a year old.

Users who are viewing this thread