Eaton with Teflon tipped rotors

BALDSNAKE

Stop the Car Tax
Established Member
If not, why not? The drag boat crowd who prefers the Roots style over the Whipple style for out of the hole performance, would not think of a Roots without Teflon tipped rotors. They port them and cool them like we do but Teflon tip them so they do not leak back heat and not drop off at the higher RPMs.

Anybody??

Snake'n Kitty

SVT Guy
Established Member
Don't they have to replace the teflon strips every few passes, or so? I know they do that in top fuel racing where they use the teflon strips on those big a$$ BDS 14-71 blowers! Sounds like it might be a service PITA for a street car.

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
I used to crew on an alcohol drag boat with a 12-71 and we ran that motor at every meet for 3 years with no pull downs and it had teflon tipped rotors...

We were only running about 2500 hp though. Not sure about the boats anymore but the TF guys in the cars are now running 7-8000 hp so it could also have a bit to do with how hard they're pushing em now. It could also have to do with the nitro as to why they tear em down so regularly.

We ran injectors above and below the blower so I guess they still do. If the nitromethanol reacts with the teflon then it would make sense that the blowers need to go back to the factory for regular refits.

Fanged03

Established Member
Next time your at a national NHRA event watch John Force racing, he has a little blower workshop usually setup near john's car and near the taped off area. Its crazy I counted enough parts to assemble 6 blowers and thats not counting what is prolly in their trailer. I think its more of a performance thing. Ya the top dogs have no problem changing them every event cause they have no budget, but I would think the minute difference in boost wouldn't be that much of an advantage. 1-2 pounds though prolly is worth a couple hundred horse.

Brent

chevysRslow

Established Member
Teflon coated rotors will definitely improve the blower efficiency. If you can figure out how to add the coating, you'd probably see a small increase in boost and efficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread