eaton vs twin screw rebuilds

20psirabbit

Established Member
i've noticed reading around that eatons seem to be pretty bulletproof regarding rebuilds and breakdowns and such. change the oil once in awhile and it seems they're all good.
what bothers me, as i've been considering going twin screw is the rebuilds i see on twin screws so i wanted to ask a couple questions.
firstly, it seems to me like i don't see a lot of whipples being rebuilt. on the other hand it seems like i see kbs locking up/needing rebuilding quite often in terms of the number of threads i see. what are the issues that cause these blowers to need rebuilds?
is there a maintenance interval per say with twin screws that one should expect to pull the blower off and have it rebuilt? i'd like some more power, but at the same time i'm not looking at pulling my blower off for regular rebuilds if that's what i'm getting myself into. if that's the case i'll go ported eaton and stay that way.
i have no association with whipple or kb, i was considering putting a kb on my car, but if i have to pay the money and get more headaches too i'll just sit it out. and this is in no way meant to pick on any one company or anything like that, i'm just a pullied eaton guy trying to figure out which way is best for me to go :beer:

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
I bought s used whipple and it needed a rebuild. It had trashed bearings and a broken drive gear. The broken gear was due to an idiot trying to take the blower apart without the right gear puller. The bearings were trashed from poor maintenance

20psirabbit

Established Member
I bought s used whipple and it needed a rebuild. It had trashed bearings and a broken drive gear. The broken gear was due to an idiot trying to take the blower apart without the right gear puller. The bearings were trashed from poor maintenance

wow man that's crappy, i'd be :cuss:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I also bought a used Whipple that needed a rebuild due to shipping damage, and used the same rebuilder as the guy above. When talking to him about the 2 types of twin screws, he told me that he much prefers Whipple's design for reliability, and longer bearing life, with less chance of seal failures also than KB. He does them all, and sees way more KBs needing rebuilding.

Users who are viewing this thread