Eaton TrueTrac what gear oil?

fuelforfire87

Established Member
So I recently had my rear end upgraded with strange axles, c clip eliminators, and a eaton truetrac. I know there is some mis-information about what type of gear oil you should run for a truetrac, but the consensus is that it should be free of friction modifier. I happened to stumble upon Torco RGO as it does not have friction modifier in it. It is not a synthetic oil, but it is suited for drag racing applications. I recently saw on the VMP website that you should not run this oil with a truetrac. Any reason why? Originally Truetrac's specified non synthetic oil without friction modifier but the newest owners manual says synthetic is fine as long as it doesnt have friction modifier. Does anyone know why Torco RGO would not be recommended for this diff by VMP?

Torco RGO Racing Gear Oil 85w140

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Lucas oil 85/140 non synthetic works great in mine

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Interesting, From what i've heard the lucas has friction modifier in it. Bet it will still work fine. Guess my only options now are motorcraft or motul.

Last edited:

fuelforfire87

Established Member
This is what the manual says
20180828_223440.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
As long as not doing road course, if just street/strip just run quality gear oil WITHOUT friction modifier.
I called Eaton when I installed mine and the key was whatever you want without friction modifier.
Don't over think it, great diff.
-J

fuelforfire87

Established Member
As long as not doing road course, if just street/strip just run quality gear oil WITHOUT friction modifier.
I called Eaton when I installed mine and the key was whatever you want without friction modifier.
Don't over think it, great diff.
-J

True, i’m sure the torco will be fine. I can’t see what would make it drastically different from other oils to the point where it would negatively affect operation or cause damage. I even did some searching on what gear oil to run with a truetrac and one guy called Eaton and they recommended the torco RGO so i’m gonna leave it be for now

StalkerStang

Established Member
VMP's wording is not that great... a little vague. But i think they are trying to say not to use friction modifier.....

I run RGO in my true trac. And yes the Lucas stuff does have friction modifier in it, so does Amsoil..... i called both.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread