eaton swap, first barrier!!!

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Well I have finally started the swap on my 99 cobra. However, I have hit my first barrier! I have an 03 cobra ECU, ecu wiring harness to engine bay and engine bay harness that I wanted to install, however I went to change the ECU, and ECU to engine bay harness and I noticed that at least one connector is different. I wonder can I use just the ECU, keep my 99 ecu to engine bay harness and the use the 04 engine bay harness, the one that plugs into the big box in the upper right hand corner and has the 03/04 vacuum lines, cop's and alternator plug, ect.... Any ideas?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
wow, i'm glad someone actually references those! thanks! he has read through them though to my knowledge. i pm'd him those. i did not swap the ecu for mine. you don't have to, however, if you do then you can run the IAT2 sensor and the MAP as well. i really don't know what other benefits it would have though. not talking it down, i just have no knowledge of putting that ecu in a 99.

Last edited:

fourvalvegt

Established Member
is it a two wire hookup that is the extra wires. if it is it is the chassis harness and you will need to replace it because it goes back to the fpdm to control the extra voltage required by the fuel pumps. id say you could just add them in but it reroutes two or three other wires with the fuel cut off. the harness is really easy to replace too. all the seats need to come out, carpet out, everything in the trunk, and the drivers side inner quarter panel. the back wires are really easy the ones to the dash are the tricky ones. on the passeneger side pull the glove box all the way down and you will see the two or three wires that go up. on the driverside you are going to have to yank out the door harness wires to get them out. the clips on those will just pull out and then you just shove the new harness back up. this harness actually goes through the firewall on this side too. one goes up to the washer motor, and you will also need to pull out the inner fenderliner on that side

and just an fyi to get that inner quarter out you have to take off the upper one to get that one clips connected to the top of the panel. you also need to pull the cover off of the speaker in the rear if you have anymore questions you can pm me because we just got done doing this swap on my buddies car

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
PMd you on Socalterminators... have a solution for you if you want to try it.
you cannot use a the 03 engine harness with the 99 fenderwell harness

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Can I use the ECU, and then the top engine haress with all the vacumm lines and COP's oh and the IAT2 sensor plug?

fourvalvegt

Established Member
if you are wanting to run the 03 04 cobra computer all those harnesses need to be changed out there is no way around it. you will use your 03 04 vacuum lines.

if you want to make it a lot easier you can use your old cobra harness. you will need to most likely extend a few wires, and i would wire up the regular iat into the iat2 sensor that way you can control the timing better to avoid detonation. since you already have a 4 valve it wont be as hard to use your original harnesses

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
fourvalvegt said:
if you are wanting to run the 03 04 cobra computer all those harnesses need to be changed out there is no way around it. you will use your 03 04 vacuum lines.

if you want to make it a lot easier you can use your old cobra harness. you will need to most likely extend a few wires, and i would wire up the regular iat into the iat2 sensor that way you can control the timing better to avoid detonation. since you already have a 4 valve it wont be as hard to use your original harnesses

Can you elaberate on what you mean "wire up the IAT2" with the regular one.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
take the iat that would regularly be in your intake pipe and put it where the iat2 goes in the supercharger that way you are getting accurate intake temps. only do this if you arent using the 03 04 computer and harnesses

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
fourvalvegt said:
take the iat that would regularly be in your intake pipe and put it where the iat2 goes in the supercharger that way you are getting accurate intake temps. only do this if you arent using the 03 04 computer and harnesses

Well I would have to pull my dash and remove half my interior in order to swap ECU's and harness' I rather not as long as I can make it work like it is supposed to.. I plan on running a stage 4 Steggy and a 2.93 upper with a 4/6 lb lower with all supporting mods and I don't want to blow up my motor due to it detonating. Thanks for your help.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
fourvalvegt said:
take the iat that would regularly be in your intake pipe and put it where the iat2 goes in the supercharger that way you are getting accurate intake temps.
well, i don't think it is quite that easy. first off, the IAT2 sensor has two screws holding it down to the blower. it's not a press fit like the IAT1. you can however buy the right sensor and just connect your existing IAT1 wires to it, and then plug in the hole in the intake tube. you might be able to splice into the wires and run both IAT1 and 2. keep in mind also, if you run your stock hookup to an IAT2, the settings are going to be way off of what they should be to use it. the ecu will think the sensor is in the intake tube, when in fact it is reading temps of compressed air. this will have to be adjusted somehow in a tune. just wanted to clear up that it's not a simple plug it into that hole. :thumbsup:

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I will know for sure how much work it is to change out the dash harness after this weekend... I'll keep you posted.

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
99riocobra said:
well, i don't think it is quite that easy. first off, the IAT2 sensor has two screws holding it down to the blower. it's not a press fit like the IAT1. you can however buy the right sensor and just connect your existing IAT1 wires to it, and then plug in the hole in the intake tube. you might be able to splice into the wires and run both IAT1 and 2. keep in mind also, if you run your stock hookup to an IAT2, the settings are going to be way off of what they should be to use it. the ecu will think the sensor is in the intake tube, when in fact it is reading temps of compressed air. this will have to be adjusted somehow in a tune. just wanted to clear up that it's not a simple plug it into that hole. :thumbsup:

What do you plan on doing? I wonder if a good tuner can solve this IAT/IAT2 sensor issue. I hope so, I can swap out the harness' but I really would like the swap done by christmas.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
the reason for putting the iat in iat 2 is so that you get an accurate reading of the intake temp going into the cylinders so it can adjust your timing accordingly

and you dont have to swap out the dash harness, atleast in the 03 we just did. the only difference is that there is the boost gauge line which is a mechanical gauge so you just rine the line like any other line.

o and if N/Angel if you need any tips or have any questions on puling the dash just pm me ive done quite a few of them

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
AJRED99 said:
What do you plan on doing? I wonder if a good tuner can solve this IAT/IAT2 sensor issue. I hope so, I can swap out the harness' but I really would like the swap done by christmas.
in the end i will probably buy the IAT2 and wire it to my stock IAT wiring. then i'll take it to Stiegemeier to tune it accordingly. i'll talk to them before i do it to make sure they can tune it with that IAT setup. right now i still have that plate covering the hole on the blower. in the winter it's not as much of a worry. plus i only drive my car like once every couple of weeks...

Users who are viewing this thread