eaton swap 01' cobra times

Richter888

Established Member
First time being at the track with the new eaton swap. Mods are in the sig.

Car just has eagle F1s in the front with nitto 555s on the rear. 275 wide. Wheels are oem 2003 cobra. Car was hopping like mad! There is pretty much nothing stock with my rear suspension. Only thing now is to change tires I guess.

This was my first run of the night. I messed up going to third and still pulled off a 12.7. I knew this car had 12.5s easy after I saw this. My second run I completely missed third and got a 12.8. It was super busy at bradenton drag strip here in florida, and only had one more run.

IMAG0103.jpg

My best run of the night was the third. I really pushed it off the line. Might of rode the clutch a bit, but I was racing my buddy in the 2011 5.0 with catback and intake(not that it really helps him a lot).

Car didn't hop a lot coming off the line, but as soon as I hit second it started hopping a bit. just kept in it and rode it out.

I decided on this run to try and max out 3rd gear before going to fourth. I tried to shift at 7k rpms and completely missed fourth. I was really mad that it happened. I honesty think it cost me an easy 1/10th. Next time I'm just going to shift at 6500 as normal.

What I don't understand is why I ran a 114mph trap in 12.7, but ran 12.55 at 106! How does this happen? Did I get off the line that much faster?
Pisses me off that it didn't record my 60ft' time or my eight.

IMAG0102.jpg

What do you guys think? I bet the car has 12.4s in it as it sits. I'm sure with some good tires and a better driver it has 12.2s in it. The car is setup more for autocross though. I feel pretty good on how it did. Soon you'll catch me at sebring for the SVTOA event coming up!

Dark_5.0

Established Member
My car is set-up similar. If you would go to a Bias-ply tire in the rear like ET streets you would get much less wheel hop and a drasticly better 60ft. I went from 1.89's to 1.53's and the the only change was going from 295 Mickey Thompson drag radials to 11.5 ET streets. I also went from an 8.10 to a 7.53.

Richter888

Established Member
lol, not trying to be a dick or anything, but I did take that into account. Its just amazing that I have a considerably slower trap speed on my fastest run compared to a slightly slower time run.

Missing gears or shifting out of the power band kills power and boost.

Yup. I feel though that letting the car car deeper into the revs before shifting may have hurt me. On the last run, the car felt amazing and my shifts were perfect(to me). Only missing fourth at the very end of the track hurt me that much? I was maybe 2 seconds, MAX, from crossing the line. Had i not missed, how much time would I have really saved? Its crazy to think how the tiniest screw ups add up. I'm betting easy 12.4s. I'll put some good tires on order one of these days and head back to the track!

I'd assume the 106 trap was when you missed a gear. Keep at it but get a tire first.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
less wheel spin will cause a lower trap speed

also don't bother going over 6500rpm...my KB stops making power at about 6400ish

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
one more thing OP...the car has an 11.80 with a 114mph trap...all you you need is a good short time

Users who are viewing this thread