Eaton porting experts - what should I go with?

cobracide

Established Member
I need more power but I don't see me ever going twins screw (I know - LOL!). A friend of mine is shopping for an AMG and I CANNOT lose!

Steigmeier stage 4 looks to be the best bang for the buck but what about stage 5? I see some people are having issues with the aftermarket throttle bodies. Is this still the case? I'm also seriously consiering the stage 5+ with the oem or the "New large oval Throttle Body and welded Plenum for max opening ". Does anyone know what throttle body is being used in the different 5+ level(s). Do these have any issues?

I need 500+ hp and as much torque as possible. Minimum (no smaller) 2.9x upper and keep the charge temperatures to a minimum. Thanks!

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Lookup Posi ported blowers, much better bang for your buck IMO!

RussZTT

Established Member
I haven't seen anything positive from their stage 5 ports. Contact Posi, you can't go wrong with him porting your blower. :rockon:

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
POSI's ports are amazing, I am getting mine tuned thursday, I am shooting for 530-540 on race gas and 25* with a A/F of 12.2 w/ a 2.8 upper

dynobobstieg

I need more power but I don't see me ever going twins screw (I know - LOL!). A friend of mine is shopping for an AMG and I CANNOT lose!

Steigmeier stage 4 looks to be the best bang for the buck but what about stage 5? I see some people are having issues with the aftermarket throttle bodies. Is this still the case? I'm also seriously consiering the stage 5+ with the oem or the "New large oval Throttle Body and welded Plenum for max opening ". Does anyone know what throttle body is being used in the different 5+ level(s). Do these have any issues?

I need 500+ hp and as much torque as possible. Minimum (no smaller) 2.9x upper and keep the charge temperatures to a minimum. Thanks!

Give me a call today and I will be able to answer all of your questions.
We have Dyno tested the Eaton units since 2003, we have owned our porting business/ speed shop since 1989, purchased the Dyno Jet 1996, been porting for over 25 years, we continue to improve and develop new techniques. We will be introducing our newest before 8-1-2009.
Here are some results/testimonies from our porting:
CUSTOMER TRACK TIMES AND DYNO NUMBERS - Supercharger Q&A, Moderated by Dyno Bob

There is much more information:Supercharger Q&A, Moderated by Dyno Bob

Thank you.
Stiegemeier :burnout:
StiegeSplash
636-949-2275
[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.

I've had good success with the Steigemeier Stage IV port as have hundreds of others. The Stage V appears to be especially effective with upper only setups, although CobraStruck and iBiTe03 have both exceeded 132 MPH in the 1/4 mile with upper/lower combos with this port.

I have no experience with Posi's porting although it looks to be a potentially promising alternative. There's a few of them out now, but only BADASS03SVT has any track time with one.

May be a bit of a challenge to hit 500 RWHP with just a 2.90 upper pulley. It's been done, but very rare. And you'll certainly need more boost if you want to have aggressive torque production.

I believe the Stage 5+ TB/plenum options are either the Accufab or the Dragon. I've had both and prefer the driveability of the Dragon, although had no major issues with the Accufab. In truth, either of them most likely supply more air to the Eaton that it can effectively utilize.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
A stage IV seems to be as far as I would want to go if I choose Stiegmeier. Also considering a 2 or 4 # lower. Being a little hesitant about going beyond just the upper 2.9x and/or add a lower since I have an early 2003, no updated heads or cooling mods. Really don't want to have to start adding cooling mods either although it's probably a good idea. There doesn't seem to be much data on adding a better heat exchanger and even if it helps at all. Maximizing the Eaton and not turning it into a "Heaton" is my goal. Reliability is #1.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Thanks IronTerp, do you know what kind of 0-60 times we can get ~500rwhp? I'm shooting for very low 4's?. An 11 second 1/4 needs to be possible as well, referencing your sig 500 should be enough for me.

IronTerp

Thanks IronTerp, do you know what kind of 0-60 times we can get ~500rwhp? I'm shooting for very low 4's?. An 11 second 1/4 needs to be possible as well, referencing your sig 500 should be enough for me.
I'm not real up to date on 0-60 MPH times with these cars. But you should have no problem hitting mid 11's with some decent tires and some practice at the track. For most of us, these cars take a bit of getting used at the track to be able to utilize our horsepower levels. But, you'll definately have the horsepower level!

cobracide

Established Member
Doing a little more research, I am tempted to get a Dragon throttlebody. Do I need the plenum too? Will it help going with a 2.9x upper? It would seem to add 25 hp and 30 tq. Where the accufab seems to have some idle issues, the dragon seems to not. Thanks for your guidance on this!

Last edited:

IronTerp

I'm running a ported Dragon that Brian (Posi) did for me. Very good driveability, but I think the gains that have been bantered around on the interent are grossly overrated. IMO, the ported single blades are for the heavy hitters that are looking to gain every last 1/100th of a second out of their setups. For 95% of the rest of ported/pulied crowd, the ported OEM setup is a good fit. I've just seen too many fast Eaton Cobras at the track with ported OEM setups. And have not seen the reported dyno gains with the big single blades.

And yes, you would need to purchase the plenum as well.

cobracide

Established Member
I'll probably just go ported stock plenum/throttlebody then. Did you dyno before and after the dragon? If so what were your gains. Just curious.

KILRSVT

Established Member
anybody know the diffrence between a stage 4 and stage 5....besides the price. i already have a plenum and accufab s/b tb . i have been thinking of going that route since it seems to be the only thing left to due that wont break my wallet.

cobracide

Established Member
anybody know the diffrence between a stage 4 and stage 5....besides the price. i already have a plenum and accufab s/b tb . i have been thinking of going that route since it seems to be the only thing left to due that wont break my wallet.

I would think that since you already have the accufab and plenum - you should go stage 5 or POSI equivalent as it be and max it out.

Last edited:

IronTerp

I'll probably just go ported stock plenum/throttlebody then. Did you dyno before and after the dragon? If so what were your gains. Just curious.
Yes I did, but also had added a ported lower intake manifold thus making the results invaild towards the Dragon. But my setup is pretty aggressive and wouldn't be the best gauge for evaluating this mod.

The Stage V is basically a Stage IV port with the addtion of a torque plate, an additional 2 degrees of rotor timing, and a raised roof. From a performacne standpoint, the two are very similiar. The Stage V appears to perform better at lower boost levels than the Stage IV.

IronTerp

I haven't seen anything positive from their stage 5 ports. Contact Posi, you can't go wrong with him porting your blower. :rockon:
Inreresting comment. Two of the top three Eaton 1/4 mile MPHs have been achieved with Stage V ports and since MPH is essentially a measure of power production (and race weight....), I'd say that's a pretty "positive" testimony.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread