Eating small meals throughout the day

16kOrBust

Established Member
All I read about in health and nutrition articles and all I hear from people I know who are personal trainers or similar is that it is better for you to eat about six small meals throughout the day rather than what I used to eat (small or no breakfast, good sized lunch, good sized dinner, maybe with a snack in between).

So lately, I've been really giving the six small meals a try, but I've noticed that I'm almost always starving and can't wait for the next meal. As far as I can tell, I'm eating roughly the same amount of food and maintaining the same weight (I'm not really looking to lose any, just eat healthier), I'm just always hungry now.

- I've been eating a small bowl of cereal before leaving for work around 7:30am
- A healthy snack around 10-10:30am
- A small/medium sized lunch at 12:30pm
- A healthy snack at 3:00pm
- A medium (smaller than normal) dinner around 5:30-6:00pm
- And then a snack again at maybe 7:30-8:00pm

The biggest issues I see are around 4-5pm before dinner when I'm so hungry I can't focus on anything and all I'm thinking about is food, and then again after I finish eating dinner when I'm in the same spot. The past couple days I've wound up just chowing down on a ridiculous amount of small snacks from around 6:30pm until a little before I go to bed because I'm so freakin hungry by then.

Does anyone else ever get like this? My girlfriend has been trying the same type of diet and said the same thing to me yesterday when I mentioned being hungry all the time to the point that I can't focus. Neither of us is at all overweight or anything, just looking to eat healthy. I don't know how much longer I can deal with this, though. Maybe I'm just eating the wrong types of foods?

39 minutes until snack time...:dancenana:

Last edited:

xtremeskime21

Established Member
I think it continously keeps your metabolism going. I try to do the same basic idea as you and I get hungry to, just have to fight through it. Eat to live not live to eat! LOL

blowbyyou

Established Member
I am on a diet plan that follows this same setup.

Breakfast: 2 eggs (only 1 yolk), 2 pieces whole wheat bread, small orange
Snack: 1/2 20g protein bar, 1/4 cup grapes
Lunch: Turkey sandwich on Whole wheat bread, Small orange
Snack: 1/2 20g protein bar, 6-8 triscuit crackers
Dinner: 5-6oz of chicken or fish, vegetable, brown rice
Snack: Protein Shake (size depends on workout)

Drink between 100-120oz of water a day

I lost 10lbs the first week on this diet and pretty consistently since then.

As far as your hunger, you are probably not getting sufficient amounts of protein. I do not feel hungry ever, and honestly sometimes feel like I am eating too much.

16kOrBust

Established Member
I am on a diet plan that follows this same setup.

Breakfast: 2 eggs (only 1 yolk), 2 pieces whole wheat bread, small orange
Snack: 1/2 20g protein bar, 1/4 cup grapes
Lunch: Turkey sandwich on Whole wheat bread, Small orange
Snack: 1/2 20g protein bar, 6-8 triscuit crackers
Dinner: 5-6oz of chicken or fish, vegetable, brown rice
Snack: Protein Shake (size depends on workout)

Drink between 100-120oz of water a day

I lost 10lbs the first week on this diet and pretty consistently since then.

As far as your hunger, you are probably not getting sufficient amounts of protein. I do not feel hungry ever, and honestly sometimes feel like I am eating too much.
I was just gonna say while reading your list, it looks like you get a ton of protein in your diet (which is why I mentioned that maybe I'm not eating the "right" foods to keep the hunger off). I'll have to reevaluate what I'm eating. The only issue is we don't currently have a stove/oven because of a screwup on our landlord's part, so I'm waiting for that to go in. Once it does, the higher in protein foods will be much easier to prepare. More eggs, chicken, and fish to go along with my salads, fruit, and other vegetables. For the past couple weeks we've been making due with a sort of countertop stir fry type hot pan, which only goes so far. :lol1:

I pretty much drink nothing but water, with the exception of a few beers here and there when we go out or have a rough day, haha. Like I said, I'm not looking to lose weight (I'm only 5' 11" and 160 pounds), just make sure I'm eating a healthy diet.

Last edited:

JerryC

Established Member
Disclaimer, not a Dr...

I'm going to guess that "healthy snack" means high carb and low fat.

If that is the case, carbs digest and either are put to use quickly or go to fat, and you're hungry again quickly. You'll spike your blood sugar and it will fall again pretty soon making you hungry.

Fiber will help fill you up, but nothing carries you through the day like meat.

If you arent taking a vitamin daily watch your diet and be sure you are getting everything you need, some cravings are habit based and some are needs based.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Disclaimer, not a Dr...

I'm going to guess that "healthy snack" means high carb and low fat.

If that is the case, carbs digest and either are put to use quickly or go to fat, and you're hungry again quickly. You'll spike your blood sugar and it will fall again pretty soon making you hungry.

Fiber will help fill you up, but nothing carries you through the day like meat.

If you arent taking a vitamin daily watch your diet and be sure you are getting everything you need, some cravings are habit based and some are needs based.

The snacks vary, but this would be a "typical" day for me:

7:30am - small bowl of "healthy" cereal with 2% milk (kashi, or something similar)

10:00am - apple sauce, grapes, an apple (some combination of fruit)

12:30pm - Turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with one slice of cheese, lettuce, and mustard, plus something like graham crackers

3:00pm - Chibani yogurt

5:30pm - Large salad with grilled chicken and lots of vegetables plus oil and vinegar, or some type of pasta (ravioli last night), etc. This one varies a lot.

7:30pm - Could be anything really, maybe some blue corn chips with salsa, a small dish of ice cream, a protein bar, etc.

Once I get that oven/stove in place, more fish, chicken, and high protein meats will definitely be had, especially for dinner.

Last edited:

clbailey

Established Member
Just lift weights, eat a clean diet and get sleep. I hate all these people that try to make it into a science. Work out eat good, and go live life, instead of living on strict parameters.

JerryC

Established Member
The snacks vary, but this would be a "typical" day for me:

7:30am - small bowl of "healthy" cereal with 2% milk (kashi, or something similar)

10:00am - apple sauce, grapes, an apple (some combination of fruit)

12:30pm - Turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with one slice of cheese, lettuce, and mustard, plus something like graham crackers

3:00pm - Chibani yogurt

5:30pm - Large salad with grilled chicken and lots of vegetables plus oil and vinegar, or some type of pasta (ravioli last night), etc. This one varies a lot.

7:30pm - Could be anything really, maybe some blue corn chips with salsa, a small dish of ice cream, a protein bar, etc.

Once I get that oven/stove in place, more fish, chicken, and high protein meats will definitely be had, especially for dinner.

Your breakfast and early snacks are all carbs, that's going to leave you hungry and wanting more to eat. The only defense for that is physical work to burn the carbs and keep the blood sugar level. Try whole milk and some meat in your breakfast, and a sugar free protein shake as a snack.

I'm not a guy that believes what most folks believe. I knew Atkins was right before I knew who he was.

I try to get much more protein in my diet than most, snack often and exercise in moderation.

My typical day starts with a glass of milk and a couple hours later eggs, bacon and toast.

I eat a normal lunch out the days I'm at work, but try to not go heavy on the carbs. i frequently leave food on the plate (carbs) or do not get all the extras. I often order double meat.

Afternoon snack, some kind of meat plus a sugary treat like a 100 calorie bar

Dinner ~ half meat, half carbs.

Nightime snack could be anything, targets of opportunity, candy, popcorn, jerky, fruit. Doesn't matter I'm going to sleep soon :)

M3xpress

Established Member
I try to eat three meals and three snacks spread throughout the day. Sometimes depending on how my schedule is, I'll only get three meals and two snacks in but missing snack or getting the schedule turned around isn't a big deal.

It helps keep the metabolism going, and I hardly ever get to a point where I'm starving for the next snack/meal.

As mentioned above, I just try to eat clean, drink a lot of water, workout, and stay active on non gym days. Vitamins are good too.

JerryC

Established Member
Just lift weights, eat a clean diet and get sleep. I hate all these people that try to make it into a science. Work out eat good, and go live life, instead of living on strict parameters.

There's a lot of truth in that.

usaf_eagle

Established Member
Most of these are myths. Meal frequency is not nearly as important as once was thought. The most important part of nutrition is getting all of your macronutients and creating a caloric deficit (if trying to lose weight). Here's a really good read if you're interested.
Meal Frequency and Energy Balance | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
If eating more frequently makes it easier to control/reduce calories, it will help you to lose weight/fat.
If eating more frequently makes it harder to control/reduce calories, or makes you eat more, you will gain weight.
If eating less frequently makes it harder for you to control/reduce calories (because you get hungry and binge), it will hurt your efforts to lose weight/fat.
If eating less frequently makes it easier for you to control/reduce calories (for any number of reasons), then that will help your efforts to lose weight/fat

Last edited:

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I agree with clbailey. People these days are so caught up in all the new hype supplements and bs. Get back to the basics and you will see results.

Lift HARD, eat 2-3 hrs (mainly in protein and carbs, few fat), and plenty of sleep. Those 3 things and a protein shake will do wonders.....

Last edited:

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I think everyone covered it as well but watch your sugar intake

Ice cream at 730 will not burn off and turn into fat. If you have a sweet tooth, eat it at lunch so your body has most of the day to burn it up

Protein Protein Protein, water water water!!!

16kOrBust

Established Member
I think everyone covered it as well but watch your sugar intake

Ice cream at 730 will not burn off and turn into fat. If you have a sweet tooth, eat it at lunch so your body has most of the day to burn it up

Protein Protein Protein, water water water!!!

What if I have sex a few times after the ice cream but before bed?! :banana:

:lol1: I just threw that in there but I limit the ice cream to once or twice a week at the most. It was just one of the things I thought of when I thought about snacks at that time.

Planter

Banned
you can take this as you will, but a Certified Personal Trainer friend of mine emailed me this to start out with for 8 weeks till I get access to a gym. But this is basically for the person who's not in great shape or just out of shape, and hasn't been eating properly and exercising regularly.

This is just an intro diet and exercise plan. This not for body building.

Meal 1
1 breakfast pork chop
1 whole egg
1.33 cup steamed broccoli
1 bowl raisin bran or plain oatmeal
1 peeled orange
35g protein, 25g carbohydrates, 15g fat

Meal 2
2 scoops Whey
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 cup steamed Broccoli or green beans
42g protein, 10g carbohydrates, 15g fat

Meal 3
5 oz grilled chicken breast or halibut/tilapia or Sirloin fillet or Tuna (albacore packed/canned in water)
4 tsp peanut butter
35g protein, 10g carbohydrates, 10g fat

Meal 4
5 oz grilled chicken breast or halibut/tilapia or Sirloin fillet or Tuna (albacore packed/canned in water)
4 tsp peanut butter

Meal 5
12 almonds

Meal 6
1.75 scoops Whey
1/2 cup steamed Broccoli or green beans
1 oz avocado
6.5 oz PEELED orange or 99g blueberries
35g protein, 25g carbohydrates, 5g fat

Protein – 214g = 856 Calories
Carbohydrates (not including Carbohydrate night) – 85g = 340 Calories
Fat – 65g = 585 Calories
Total Calories – 1781 Calories NON-carbohydrate night
Total Calories – 2236

Carbohydrate nights Every 18th meal is the Carb meal. It is the last meal and it replaces Meal 6.

The Carb Meal must be eaten in this order.
1.5 cup steamed green beans or 12 oz asparagus = 15g carbohydrates
1/2 cup oatmeal (measured dry then add water and microwave) = 30g carbohydrates
6.5 oz PEELED orange or 99g blueberries = 15g carbohydrates
12 almonds = 10g fat
8 oz yam or sweet potato = 60g carbohydrates
2 tsp peanut butter or almond butter = 10g fat 4-6 packets splenda for sweetening

120g Carbohydrates = 480 Kcals
20g Fat = 180 Kcals T

with this diet I do about 45 mins of cardio a day (or as close to it as possible until I get accustomed to working out and can handle the full 45 mins)

Mon/Wed/Fri - walk 3-4 minutes, sprint 30 seconds. walk 3-4 minutes sprint 30 seconds. do this for 45 minutes or until you're completely worn out. I drove around the block a few times to figure out how much was a mile. keep track how far you go so you know how much you're improving and increasing endurance.

Tues/Thur/Sat - pushups, situps, pullups, crunches, leg lifts. max each exercise out till you reach muscle failure. remember how many you did, and write them down so you can keep track of your progress as you go.

Sunday - rest day, and this is the one day you can have a cheat meal (applebee's or something, but don't go crazy and gorge, recommend not to go get fast food, or high fat/cholesterol foods)

jliddle

Established Member
Planter that diet plan is nice but it's also alot work/money. Definitely a good diet/routine though.

I like a good ol pb&j for a snack.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
6 meals really do work. Add some good exercise in there and you wi be in business.

Users who are viewing this thread